CAT5E System

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ibanezman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Morning all,

Possibly not strictly an electricians question, but I'll ask anyway.

My house is about 15 years old, so built pre-wifi but post internet, so some kind soul thought it would be good to wire the whole house with CAT5E cabling with sockets in each room. I'm not sure how it works though - I'm thinking that I can probably just plug my router into ANY socket and then get interweb out of ANY other socket.

Does anyone know more about this type of system?!

Thanks

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A cat5 network is usually patched to a router or a switch box then connected on to the internet via a modem. Each socket should be individually connected to the router or switch box then on to the modem. You should be able to access the internet from any of the wired sockets as long as the source is correctly set up. Only way to know really is to try it. :)

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

many standard modems as supplied by your BB provider will have a number of RJ45 sockets on them. There will be a cupboard or a panel where all of your wiring will converge, perhaps terminated to a patch panel - from this panel you can use short RJ45 leads to plug into your modem ports (if available) - if your modem just has the one LAN socket then that will need to be connected to a hub/switch (which will have numerous outlets)

being tied to a wired point is rather cumbersome for today's peripherals, unless it's a desktop - so fixed points are handy for extending the range of your WiFi if required

[​IMG]

4. Hi Ibbie (long time!)

As said above, it isn't just a case of wiring up CAT5e cables together in parallel - that just won't work. A wee switching box (very cheap) is needed between the main router/modem and all the other CAT cables heading off to the various rooms (unless your actual router has enough ethernet sockets on it already - one for each cable?)

The switching box does just that, I believe - it switches the router's communication between the various CAT cables to answer demand.

As Sean says, there must be a central 'somewhere' where all these cables come to an 'end' together? That's where your router or switching box goes.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Cat5e is cheap, as are the RJ45 plugs.
    Crimping tool can be got for 4 quid and cable tester for 3.
    Combined RJ45 and TV socket in every room sounds good.
    may as well run both if you are going to the trouble of running stuff under boards.
    Ork's diagram is very clear and should help you understand the system a bit.
    RS

6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

RS, think it's already installed?

Once you find the patch panel take a photo and post it, you should find each socket wired back to the patch panel, then each termination on the patch panel should go back to the switch or hub depending on how old the install is via short network cables.

If it just goes to the patch panel you will need to invest in a switch (don't buy a hub now) & patch leads. You want a switch large enough to cover every connection in the patch panel to give the best flexibility.

You can then place your modem/router near to one of the sockets, plug it in to there and plug your pc/printer/NAS/TV etc in to any other socket and it should work.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It really depends where they are all cabled back to. You could put a network switch where they are all terminated, and your router either there too, or by one of the wall sockets. Only one cable from router to network switch required.

Wireless has its place, and good coverage of a house is achieved with more than one wireless access point, these access points being fed via ethernet cable :)

Cabled homes are superior, but these days need SUPPLEMENTING with wireless.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

quite right McK !:(
    Just bashing out bits of info as you never know who might find it interesting.....?
    RS

9. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Thanks guys, I'll dig out some RJ45s and give it a test in various configurations. We have wifi, but my netbook is just hopeless in terms of holding the connection - believe me I've tried!

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if the connection keeps dropping try changing the channel on the router, you may be seeing the affect of neighbours using the same channel as you

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Should have said, if you have an ADSL (telephone line) system, then put your modem / router into the master socket, this will give the best performance, also fitting an iPlate will remove the need for filters on all extensions, which looks better and reduces lost connections due to filter issues

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

The connection to the Local network or Internet?

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not an iplate - That just filters the bell wire. You would still need filters at the extension sockets. What you want is an NTE master filter such as this below. This filters the extensions completely.

[​IMG]

Or, if you have fibre (FTTC) coming to the area soon, one of these would be better, and is backward compatible:

[​IMG]

This is an iPlate, and filters the ringwire to increase speed, rather than disconnecting it (as some do). All recent NTE5as have this built in, visible by the bulge on the back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]