Voltage on power tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by siac, Dec 26, 2013.

1. siac

siac New Member

I am probably asking a very obvious question... I often see a power tool for sale with an option of 110V or 230/240V. What is the difference in performance or longevity? I am aware that voltage coming in from National Grid is 230/240Volts.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

110v is generally intended for site use where domestic voltages are frowned on, and often banned - used in combination with a transformer

you'll probably not see any noticeable difference in performance as the stators will be designed to achieve a similar performance of the domestic voltage alternatives - as an example, compare the specs of this 230v item with the 110v alternative

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-ls0714-2-190mm-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-240v/64212

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

240 volts is not allowed on sites ( HSE) very often sites are open to the elements , and as you will know electricery and water are not good bed partners, so if you got a belt off 110volts through walking in an electrified puddle you'd probably survive, whereas if you got a prolonged 240 belt, you might not.
    240v is safe in a domestic enviroment though and is prefered by tradesmen cos those transformers can be heavy to cart around all day.

4. siac

siac New Member

Many thanks for the answers posted. Can shop with more confidence now!

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I don't know, as I am retired, but I have heard that some sites allow 240v through a RCD as Polish workers have 240 tools. As an aside, a few years ago I did a job for the MoD in Germany. We took 110v kit with transformers, but all the locals had 240v tools & not a pair of boots or hard hat between them. No one seemed to worry. :-(

6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

110v is used on site because with a center tap transformer the voltage you get under fault conditions is quite safe compared to 230v straight from the mains.

the only 230 ive seen on site in the last 5plus years are battery chargers and vac's. But they are normally not allowed but ignored by the health and safety team.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

you know iv'e often wondered this, volts on their own don't kill, it amps that kill, look at a police taser or a car spark plug, both around 50000 volts, but in nearly all cases do not kill if touched.

Now the bit that confuses me is 100watts @ 240v requires 0.46amps, but @ 110v requires 0.96 amps, so more current.

8. Allybally

Allybally Member

A site transformer is centre tapped to earth meaning if you were to receive a shock it should only be 55v alot less lethal 230v and it literally takes mA to have a dangerous effect 30mA is seen as a upper limit