Is it OK to tile directly on to new plasterboard?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by plane-it, Feb 13, 2014.

1. plane-it

plane-it Member

Hi, Just finishing a new shower room, wet areas are all Hardibacker, dry areas are plaster board.

Is it OK to tile directly on to new plasterboard?

It's 12.5mm square edge foil backed and screwed to a stud spacing of 300mm.

Should I mist the new plasterboard first with a 3:1 matt-emulsion:water mix?

2. In my opinion you are always better to skim it first.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Adhesive manufacturers often advise tiling straight onto unskimmed plasterboards. It'll hold more weight of tiles per Sq M than skimmed. No need to paint either. ;);)

FatHands likes this.
  4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

My mate went to some adhesive thing once, they tiled straight onto plasterboard and on to skimmed plasterboard. They tilted the boards facing down slightly and had a machine that vibrated the boards. The tiles fell off the skimmed wall first. The adhesive was set not freshly laid.
    I always tile straight onto boards never had a problem and I skim loads of bathrooms for bathroom fitters and they always get me to just skim upto where they're tiling.

trialist and FatHands like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Agreed straight on to the board, to give you an idea how well it sticks try removing some without damaging the board.

6. plane-it

plane-it Member

Thanks for the replies, that really simplifies the job :)

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah, so the other school of thought is put a skim on to protect the boards - so if they get fed up with the tiles it won't destroy the walls when they take them off. Open to debate i guess! :)

8. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

True but probably cheaper to reboard than spend time scraping the old adhesive off and reskimming

FatHands likes this.
  9. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

belt sander cough cough who said that