No key for upvc door

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pagloss, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

So just to be sure whats being said. I take the handle off on the inside to expose the barrel and then wallop the top of it with a hammer to snap it. Is that right?

2. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

How do you pick it?

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

You can't pick it.

4. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Ah right ok, hammer it is then :)

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Yeah, hammer will do it, from inside it's fairly easy, if you can use a bolster placed on the furthest point of the barrel and give it decent hit it will snap in two, sounds rough but isn't really...

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I think I would wrap a bit of cardboard over the chisel blade to reduce the chance of scratching the door.

7. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Sounds like a plan, right i'll give it a go cheers

8. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Make sure the bolster is at the edge of the barrel away from the door.

9. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Ok I will, thanks

10. Why can't this lock be picked, yes some good quality Euro cylinders are hard to pick, some are very easy and I do mean very easy, I have retained one such lock I removed from doors once as good/bad example, I can open it without fail in less than 60secs, furthermore this was fitted onto a brand new door fitted within the last 12 months !!

11. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Didn't say it couldn't be picked.

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Oh yes you did.

Biffo likes this.
  13. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

No, I said 'YOU' can't pick it meaning the OP.

14. Biffo

Biffo Member

easily snapped from outside only need 3 mm showing , many doors have the wrong sized barrel in .

15. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Well folks, ive had some brilliant tips from the Screwfix forum in the past, and all are appreciated, but this one really has to take first prize.

I'll be honest and say I was initially a little dubious and thought surely it can't be that easy but I had the lock barrel snapped, the door open and new barrel & handles refitted in just over 5 minutes, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for everyones help on this, its one of those tricks that makes you yearn for someone you know to tell you they have the same problem just so you can show off and do it again :)

16. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Thanks, I do my best :p

17. A cracking result :D

(It would never have occurred to me to try that :oops:.)

18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Snag is, every scroat reading these forums, now knows how to force entry! :-(

19. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Should of added, how do help the good guys without giving the game away? :-(

20. Ah, but the INSIDE has the longer part of the lock, wot is crackable...