Mouse In The House

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lambypies, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Lambypies

Lambypies New Member

Hello,

I bought a ground floor terraced flat built around 1900 a couple of years ago and have got some free mice to go along with it. Under the floor is a bit of a mess with a hundred years of builders rubble and holes for pipes and cables made over the years.

I have spent a lot of time clearing up and filling holes and the problem is getting better, but I'm stumped with their latest entrance way.

We have a Baxi Bermuda fire connected into a Combi boiler system. (The back boiler is no longer used).

Is there a safe way I can take some of the facias off the firefront to see if I can locate and plug the holes to stop the blighters getting in?

Thanks,

Simon

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

learn to live with them - they'll find their way in whatever you do

3. Hi Lambypies.

Rename yourself Mousiepies.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

By rights there should be no openings from outside into the builders opening behind the fire, the installer should have sealed them. If you are using the fire alone any air should only be able to enter the chimney from the room via the fire or the space around the front.
    So you should not need to remove the fire as there will be no access into the house that way, unless they abseil down the flue from the roof;).
    My daughter had success with the plug in rodent deterrents, I know reviews are mixed but she found they worked.
    As said almost it's impossible to keep them out, they can get in through incredibly small gaps, seems if their skull will fit they can squeeze their body through!!

FatHands likes this.
  5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if you make make a house mouse proof, then its also air proof and you've suffocate overnight, so which would you rather do?
    also mice are very terratorial so they won't let other families of mice in, bit like a serurity firm really, enjoy um they're cute little animals,they don't eat much and mostly stay out of your way, ;)

6. (says the huntin' fishin' cove :D)

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I've also heard positive reviews. I assume you mean the ones which emit some type of frequency which is not heard by humans but a no-go for the mice Teabreak?

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes those are the ones, mind you if somebody made tiny ear defenders................;)

FatHands likes this.
  9. Get down to Countrywide and buy some Tomcat Blox mouse and rat killer. Chuck 'em under the floor and Robert's your father's brother.

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

ha ha! :D

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had a problem with mice in the pantry last winter and put down poison and bought a little nipper mouse trap, this year we only had 1, now dead, mouse.