Corrugated plastic roofing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mike2014, Feb 9, 2014.

1. mike2014

mike2014 New Member

During the high winds a part of my garages corrugated plastic roofing came off. Needless to say it shattered. I want to replace it but unsure of how to cut to size without shattering or breaking - does anyone know of a foolproof way for a novice to do this?

Ted Leger likes this.
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you are replacing with new sheets, it should cut ok with a fine toothed saw, put masking tape on it where you plan on cutting it, easier to mark a line on and supports the plastic a little while cutting.
    The older sheets will have gone brittle with age, hence why they shattered.

Ted Leger likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 New Member

Thanks Phil much appreciated I will take your advice and give it a go

Ted Leger likes this.
  4. Ted Leger

Ted Leger New Member

Sorry, I probably am a little late in responding, but just in case I went ahead. Actually, working with these sheets is easy and aren't difficult to cut. When they are new, they will last a good bit longer than one would think, so you do well just replacing what was broken. You just have to make sure that the laps are the same, or it won't fit together correctly and the roof will leak in that spot. I found a site that talks all about these sheets, it is at http://plasticroofingsheets.net There were a few things on the site that I didn't agree with, but for the most part it does have good information such as cutting the sheets, different types, etc..

5. mike2014

mike2014 New Member

Thanks Ted I will have a look at the site you suggest for future reference. I am all sorted now I did has Phil suggested and worked a treat - thanks again

6. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

I think you should take that shattered area apart and cover it with another one. I have very less experience in roof construction and maintenance, but I would suggest you to bring a new sheet from market approximately a few inches bigger than original size. Put that new sheet on the shattered part and seal it with a good paste.

7. Cyrax

Cyrax New Member

I used to work in a plastics factory with polyproylene sheets. If its the same stuff, it cuts really easy with a stanley and you can melt sheets together with a heat gun with a flat end.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Did you get the sack?

9. Cyrax

Cyrax New Member

Erm, no.?

10. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

I always feel terrified while using heat gun.