Meet the Nest Learning Thermostat.

Discussion in 'Screwfix Deals' started by screwfix.kate, May 14, 2014.

1. screwfix.kate

screwfix.kate Administrator Staff Member

upload_2014-5-14_11-17-7.png

Nest the Learning Thermostat

Heating your home shouldn't be guesswork. The Nest Thermostat learns your schedule to program itself, turns down the heat when you're away and can be controlled from your mobile.

It’s a programmer and thermostat in one. For the first time, you can change the temperature, adjust your schedule and see how much energy you use from
    one place.

Auto schedule
    With Auto Schedule just turn the heat down when you leave, up when you come home, down at night. Within a week, your Nest Thermostat learns the temperatures you like and creates a personalised schedule for your home.

Want to edit your schedule? Every day can be different. Whether it's 20.5° at 7pm or 20.° at 7.15pm, the Nest Thermostat will listen and keep on learning.

Remote control
    Once the Nest Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi, you can use the Nest app to control your thermostat from a smartphone or tablet.

Getting in early? Change the temperature miles from home.

Stuck at work? Log into nest.com to edit your thermostat's schedule, adjust settings, or check how much heat you used yesterday.

Auto Away™
    Popped out for a pint and forgot to turn down the heat? With Auto Away™, the Nest Thermostat automatically turns down when you are gone.

Energy history
    After about a month with your new thermostat, we'll email you a Nest Energy Report. You'll see how your energy use changes month-to-month and why you used more or less heat.

We'll also give you tips to save energy and show you how people are using Nest Thermostat across the country. The more you know, the sooner you can find a balance of comfort and energy savings for your home.

True Radiant
    With True Radiant, your thermostat learns how your home heats up so you don't have to guess when to turn on the heat. If your schedule says 20.°C at 7am then your True Radiant will turn the heat on early so you'll be perfectly warm when you wake up.

For more details visit Nest

Kate

thelockman likes this.
  2. pringles

pringles Member

Hi, the thermometer can it run not plugged in or does it have to stay on? If it does for all that it does it would of been handy to be rechargeable?

Thanks

3. www.ivangas.com

www.ivangas.com New Member

4. Has anyone successfully made a Nest thermostat connect to a Fon internet connection?

Tony

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I haven't Tony, but was thinking about getting one with view to being able to do this. Have you had trouble getting it work over the Internet?

6. Allybally

Allybally Member

Hi, got one in my house, fitted it a few months ago, really neat peice of kit, looks really smart as well, also got the smoke detector, (additional to my main house protection) which has a CO detector inside which if it detects CO it automatically shuts down the Heating side of the boiler to stop creating a problem and potentially save a life, in its own well worth the money for this addition, also have it linked to my wife's phone so if the Nest goes into sleep mode when she is on her way home the Nest can see she is on her route home turn the heating back on, easily 10/10

Ally

7. RyanTCB

RyanTCB New Member

I wish it allowed you to keep track of your energy usage too though. It's all well and good it saying "yesterday you heated for 3hrs". Also the email you get showing you a graph of how long you heated for is nice. But I would much rather it told me how much energy I was using. That way i can convert heating costs directly into real world £ value.

8. Allybally

Allybally Member

I sort of agree but hours vs kw/h I know which one is easier to relate to, at least with hours anyone can relate to try to lower, I think the nest is designed to be simple, kw/h would probably confuse it

Ally

9. iwww.ivangas.com

iwww.ivangas.com New Member

Also another alternative which does heating and hot water is tado does hot water and heating www.ivangas.com/tado

10. www.ivangas.com

www.ivangas.com New Member

There has been an update to the nest thermostat, working together with nest protect.

11. benedict

benedict New Member

How does this compare to hive? Are there anynotable differences?

12. Brian Roe

Brian Roe New Member

I have bought one, but it is not as smart as I expected.

13. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

Was thinking about buying one. Can you give us some more feedback on it? Thanks!

14. Poucha

Poucha Member

It's a great looking device which does most of the things a thermostat should do...but has some annoying limitations which let it down. The screen displays your required temperature, not the actual temp (unless you get close to it) - a bit dumb as most people want to know what the temp is now, not what you set it at.
    The schedules can only be set with 15 min granularity and at least 1 hour intervals. e.g. you have to have it come on at 6.15 if you want 6.10 and then it can't switch off again until 7.15 (or later) - a bit of a pain if you just want it to come on for a while when you get up or give it a short boost before going to bed. The hot water can only be scheduled in 30 min chunks.
    There are several other examples where it does less than my 25 year old timer, which is sad for such a sexy product.
    If you can live with that it's great (I have 2) but it's unlikely to save you money unless you're really lazy and already overheat your house.
    It may still be the best but with a little work it could be awesome.

15. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

Thanks Poucha. So still some things to improve. Aesthetically looks great though.

16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Need one for may new heating install at home.
    Anyone know where the best price can be had?

17. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

I think that the purpose of this post was to get it from screwfix, metrokitchens.
    You can try Amazon or Ebay, but I wouldn't advise getting a second hand one.

18. Andy_

Andy_ New Member

If you're with npower they were selling them for £130, rrp is £199...