Lowering a concrete Kitchen floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lanc lad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

Hi everybody, new to this so be patient :)

Anyway we have a large kitchen area of abt 2.9 metres by 9 metres which is 23mm higher than the rest of the house, the other half wants the whole of the gound floor one level as we are going to wooden floor it or tile the kitchen and have it flush to the rest of the house.

The higher level of the concrete connects to a floorboard base in the dining room, we have been given a few recommendations, one being smash the whole lot up and start again, which does seem drastic but could be the only way I guess, the other was to do grind out strips close together(maybe an inch apart) in the concrete then chisel out, i'm just worried that the DPC could come in to play?...That does seem long winded but could probably live with that and something I could do myself. The other was to raise everywhere else on the ground floor the same height, which would be fairly difficult..

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Obviously the easiest method would be to raise the level of the rest of the downstairs floor to that of the kitchen, and then lay your new floor over that.

But you say that would be 'fairly difficult'?

Why? Sounds dead easy to me. Provided the loss of an inch ain't important, of course.

The other solutions all revolve around lowering the existing kitchen floor level by that inch.

This can be done, and is done all the time. But, as you say, it'll be labour intensive.

I don't think I'd worry about DPCs and stuff if you are only going down an inch, and in any case you'd be laying a new DPM before the new floor.

I think there are concrete grinding machines that are used a bit like a rotating floor mop - but with teeth... Do a Google.

Or, your own solution would work - but what a chore.

Or, you pneumatic it all out and relay a new concrete floor.

So, I'd surf for a grinder (careful what you end up with there...), and - if no luck - consider the raising of the rest of the floor using a layer of rigid insulation and then the new floor on top.

Instant improvement in insulation too...

3. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

Thanks for the reply

One of the reasons it would be difficult is we have a downstairs bathroom which is tiled & flush with the hall way, the Mrs doesn't want a and inch difference in height between the two if I raise the hallway and the rest of the rooms, also a couple of other problems too. She's adamant that the whole ground floor is one level.

I'm just thinking smashing over 20 square metres of concrete out and redoing the lot seems a costly job

If it Definitely is possible to grind it all out however tedious and slowly it would take I'd probably prefer this option, like I said I was just worried abt the DPC

So if I did remove the 22mm, would it be best to remove a further 10mm then use that 10mm for a self levelling compound to bring it flush with the other floor. Or would that be insufficient?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

Thanks, that looks like it could do the job. I'll see if my local hire shop has one in and maybe try this method.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a messy & noisy job.

7. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

Its either that or getting someone in to sort a whole new floor out.

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

How many thresholds butt in the the higher level, 1? Just make sure you get a good joiner to fit the floor and have him cut a graduated piece to help kill the difference. Dropping the whole floor is madness.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sensible idea, but if a women want the floor all one level,then rarely can you change their minds or make them see sense, & there are other options.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

When to say you are going to 'wooden floor it or tile the kitchen', if you are saying the rest of the floors are already finished, then you will surely need to lower the kitchen the 23mm PLUS the depth of whatever floor finish you intend to top it with ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

No mate that's the difference from the floorboards in the dining room to the kitchen (23mm) so once the 23mm has been removed it will all be level.

My brother in law is a joiner and has taken a look to see if feasible abt slowing raising the wood onto the affected area from the rest of the house, I just didn't like the sound of what he said and thought it may not work
    As I've said the Mrs won't budge and if it's costly or messy than so be it. I think I'm going to go down the route of the floor grinder and nomal hand grinder in parts so I can imagine its going to be noisy and messy. I've watched a few you tubes videos of this, seems someone follows them round with an hover hose to suck up most of the dust. I'm already looking up good dust sheets, mask etc to make it a better working environment

I do appreciate the replys and it does seem crazy I guess just for 23 mm, but hey hi :)...I'd of just had a lip there with a strip of beading.

12. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

Oh and there is three thresholds joining the raised floor, all dif heights, 23mm, 18 mm & 17mm...

13. If the downstairs loo is main reason for not wanting to raise the rest of the floor 23mm to match the kitchen, then to remove and refit a toilet pan and basin ain't a big issue.

14. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

The Hallway leading to the bathroom will then be higher, its flush now with the existing floor & If I raised the level of the rest of the rooms by 23mm to join the problem area then laid down oak flooring at 22mm thick this would leave the bathroom lower, we also have a problem with a double glazed door frame too where theres not much leeway at the bottom, its quiet a big detached house but quirky with a few issues from the past.

15. I'm sure you've looked at all the possibilities.

(Not sure I understand that post, tho'...)

16. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Honestly, I would be looking at breaking out the concrete completely and replacing. When we took out our old kitchen, we found that the floor 'screed' was only an inch deep in places, chucked straight down on top of hardcore (which had since settled in quite a few areas). At the very least, break out a couple of small surreptitious areas (where cabinets will be going, for example) just to make sure that the floor would be thick enough after shaving an inch off it.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He might be lucky in having a sand/cement screed (anything up to 65mm or so) on top of a 100mm or more of concrete, so a very easy & quick job to grind it down.

Then it's a simple job to pour a levelling compound to finish the floor ready for it's covering.

18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

True, but unlikely if it's an older house that has been *shudder* DIY'd in the past

19. Lanc lad

Lanc lad New Member

I already smashed an area up abt 10 inches by tens inches a week ago to see how hard this process would be, went down abt two and a half inches and it was still solid concrete underneath this

Just out of curiosity, if which has been recommended I just thought what the hell smash it all up and relay new concrete to the level I require then what would the costing be?

Like I said its abt 2.9 metres x 9 metres...

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forgot that,:oops: going to fun sorting it.:rolleyes:

If you rip up the concrete & relaid, you'll need to allow the new concrete time to cure, dry out for a while before laying new floor covering, otherwise you get all sort of problems.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016