Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Have seen used lob cabin which is around 3 months old. Its well under half price at £2500

Has anyone taken down a log cabin and put one back up? Is it difficult? What problems might I face?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Is it an interlocking log cabin? If so, should be easy to disassemble and put back together again. Likely you'd need new roofing material and the floor/roofing timbers should be removed carefully.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you know the make, then google for the instruction manual or look on company site, even Youtube.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A three month old one should be quite easy to dismantle but I would be wary of an older one. As DrB's mentioned the outer skin of the roof will be probably need to be sacrificed.

However, £2,500 is still quite a lot for a timber structure, is it quite large ?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

snappyfish and KIAB like this.
  6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You contact, them, they will give you a list of UK dealers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's why I thought your half price offer was expensive for a "pre-owned" structure considering you have to dismantle, ship and reassemble yourself and the prospect of no warranty

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It wasn't quite that simple. Started looking into this a couple of years back, contacted logcabins.lv and had a chap call me. He quoted £4k for this exact same cabin (without the extra window) and without any roof covering. There were a few websites at the foot of his email quote, none of them near me and struggled to find anywhere where I could see a cabin in the flesh.

I then found http://www.skinnerssheds.co.uk/show-sites visited Frensham Garden centre and the chap there (Nathan) was extremely helpful and of course quoted about 75% of the original price, plus they throw in standard roofing felt and some preservative. I'll put EPDM on the roof in due course. They don't show my log cabin on their site, but its a standard cabin from logcabins.lv (DF 1493) so are able to offer it.

@snappyfish don't know where you're located, but FGC may deliver beyond their normal "local" area if you're interested, or one of the other sites nearer you. Delivery is on 28th June, so no erection yet :eek: but see my project page for the latest "Die Lorelei 2017"

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One day 7.5t truck hire is about £200 so if the savings are warrant it, easy enough to transport yourself

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Exactly - could arrange to pick it up from wherever it normally gets delivered from, or have it delivered to mine and plonked on snappyfish's hired truck.

12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes I remember that website now, was one of a few I had in email responses from logcabons.lv a couple of years ago. My cabin is the DF1493.

snappyfish likes this.
  14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Excellent, cheers. Im so sick of looking for cabins now I think this is the company to go with, decent size floor 28mm and other features I like.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes...good spec and decent prices although SLC seem dearer than skinners sheds.

snappyfish likes this.
  16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Skinners Portsmouth, are about an hour away from me, if they offer a good price i'll whizz up and take a look.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Do you know what the actual inside space is wall to wall?

As I just read this 5.5m x 4.0m (Approximate to outside of logs) approx. 18ft x 13ft which indicates smaller useable space inside?

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

According to the plans of my 5.5 x 3.5 cabin, the walls are 100mm shorter each end (the logs protrude 100mm) and take of 2x44mm wall thickness, so its 5212 x 3212 inside dimensions.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Here's my floor plan, attached

Attached Files:

snappyfish likes this.
  20. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member