Substance on walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by aidanmcg33, Aug 12, 2017.

1. aidanmcg33

aidanmcg33 New Member

Painting a room where there used to be an old bookcase and it appears that there's varnish on the walls. Could possibly be glue but Im almost certain it's varnish.
    Room also has some walls that have been freshly plastered.
    Can I paint over the top of this or will it cause issues?

https://ibb.co/eR6rsF

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the bookshelf was varnished against the wall, then looks like your suspicions are correct and it's likely to be varnish

Give those areas a sand down with 120 paper to get them as smooth as you can. Any raised sections will show through when you paint the walls

Then seal those areas with a good stain bloc, Zinnster BIN being one

If your gonna be painting the walls with a roller, then use a 4" roller to apply stain bloc and give the stains a good overlap (this will give the same texture when you roller the walls with emulsion)

New plaster needs to be sealed with a 'mist coat' - watered down matt emulsion (non vinyl) then 2 coats of your chosen emulsion on top. Plenty of posts on this subject so have a search if ur unsure

Obviously any prep needs carrying out 1st, i.e. Filling any damaged areas or caulking gaps along skirting boards, etc - good luck :)

aidanmcg33 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIYDave it's..................................ZINSSER ;)

aidanmcg33 likes this.
  4. aidanmcg33

aidanmcg33 New Member

Thanks guys

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It's what?.......:p

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha cheers Astra :)
    I remember uv picked me up on this spelling before and it seems, I've not learned from my previous lesson

Generally my spelling is ok, just can't get the hang of the 'Z' word - must try harder

Apart from my spelling, do I get any points for my advice - seeing as I'm only diy :eek:

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;):)