How do I turn this off?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Noddie77, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPG
    Hi,

I've got a leaking internal mains stop tap, which I'm more than capable of fixing. But I've gone this morning to turn off the external stop tap expecting to turn it 90 degrees with the long handled key and I've got a meter mounted above a disc which says on and off on the sides, I had a Gas engineer friend come and look at it and they couldn't understand it either and I'm loathe to just start fiddling. Severn Trent can't send someone out for another 2 weeks to show me how to do it - they replaced the meter a few months ago as they said it was faulty...

There is another access panel nearby but ST said all our houses are isolated.

If anyone can shed any light on what I am doing wrong? I've attached a pic what I can see, if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ain't seen one of those before, isn't that a cover which you can lift up, usually there would be a stop cock off to one side with most water meters.

Instead of a stockcock in doors, use a full lever valve far, it's far superior.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Noddie77 likes this.
  3. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

Hi,

You lift the cover up to read the meter, I think I will go for the lever valve though, you're right, far better!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't believe them, you ain't got no stockcock in those photo's so it's elesewhere.

Noddie77 likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Start lifting other hatches in the road. I found my tap further away than I expected. My first attempt at turning off shut the neighbours off. Lol..

Noddie77 likes this.
  6. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

Could it be this?

Attached Files:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks like a stop cock,hopefully it's yours.:)
    But, it's badly chewed,looks partly missing,so I wouldn't touch it, wait for waterboard to sort it.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Looks like a fire hydrant (or standpipe station) to me.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I am a idiot, now on pc can see picture clearer, ignore my last post.:oops::oops::rolleyes:

Ain't no standpipe, just a blanking plug for water meter & square stop cock key 5/8" or 3/4" size.

Noddie77 likes this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Bigger than that I think. Can't tell without something alongside to compare but I'm guessing that the outlet will be 50mm or more. In the olden days before they were metered we used to fit standpipes to hydrants for our water supplies on site and that looks exactly the same.

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

noddie ,can you take pics of the first images ,with the lid open so we can see what's below. if there is a water meter below it's highly likely that you can isolate supply there .the second images are very unlikely to be .

Noddie77 likes this.
  12. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

Attached Files:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sometimes there is a black key attached to under sidelide of manhole cover.
    But, there ain't enough room for stopcock in that space.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

I think there is a proper keyhole in the top of the actual meter itself? Or am I being daft?!

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Being daft I think.:D

Stopcock is usually offset to one side.

Noddie77 likes this.
  16. This looks similar to the meter that you have,there would be no room in the box for a stopcock therefore it must be somewhere else

Attached Files:

Noddie77 likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-8-27_17-1-22.jpeg
    There is no means to isolate supply, so I give the stopcock you found in reply 6, either going to turn off yours or your neighbour's supply.:D

18. The photo's that you have shown in reply 6 are for a wash out, where dirty water is flushed from the mains, therefore not your stopcock.

19. Noddie77

Noddie77 New Member

Cheers everyone, I've opened a few other panels in the street and I can't find a stop cock. I'm going to call ST and get them to come out and show me. Thanks everyone for your help.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be,but we have no idea of scale of that fitting.

Usually they just use fire hydrant for flushing.