where can you get copper pipe tested

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Malcolm Morrison, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Malcolm Morrison

Malcolm Morrison New Member

my question is where can I get copper pipe tested as it is thin and has been having pinholes leaks off the hot water pipes. The cold water goes through a Calmag water softener and then into the hot water tank.

The bungalow was completely refurbished in 2011 with brand new plumbing and electrics.

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Why two posts on what is really the same topic? Will only lead to confusion.

3. Malcolm Morrison

You have not got a house with so many holes in wals and floors so yes I am confused as nobody has a clear answer to a question that has been posted since 2008. Builder walking away and left with possible 50 grand of work that has to be done so yes confused

4. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

You could get a plumber with a hydraulic pressure tester to test the pipes. Testing of copper pipes should be done to 1.5 times the systems normal working pressure, so about 3.5bar for a sealed system, 1.0 to 1.5 bar for an open vented system.

However, if the test proves the pipes are weak, you will get leaks, possibly in really inconvenient places to fix such leaks.

Some very soft water can "attack" copper pipes, as can a mixture of copper and non-copper pipes through electrolytic corrosion. So it might help if you let us know what part of the country you are in, whether you are on mains water or other source, and whether the system is all copper or a mix.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd get an Chartered M&E engineer to do a report. This will allow you to take steps against the builder with professional opinion in hand.

6. Malcolm Morrison

The plumber installed a cal mag water softener at time of old copper pipe being replaced. We are on mains water it's all copper pipe of different sizes. Wessex Water came and did tests on water and it's not the water. All of the pipe is jointed no bends in pipe. Latest on had four holes in one piece builder collapsed the pipe by pressing on it it's so thin it snaps brand new installation done end of December 2011. First leak was October 2015 blue deposit inside pipe water board said it could have been caused by bad installation and flux left on outside and inside of pipes

7. Malcolm Morrison

Where do I find one insurers have instructed solicitor and they told us that courts will not take any notice of any report we get done

8. just pumps

New install in 2011, first leak in 2015 and you claim to have posted the Q in 2008 o_Oo_Oo_O Not even gonna ask where the 50k came from :rolleyes:

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

malcolm ,are the leaks confined to just domestic hot water pipes ,or cold water pipes and central heating pipes also affected ?? copper tube very often has manufacturer id ,imprinted on the tube ,very faint and hard too see unless you look for it. its step repeated continuously thru the tube lengths. can you identify ?

10. Malcolm Morrison

why don't you go away and learn to read I said that there have been postings since 2008 you are so funny

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

well that's load of rubbish for a start. it is not up to the solicitor acting for your insurer and not you to make any statement about how the court will act.

so to get this straight, if it is poor workmanship your building insurer will not pay out. therefore you need to claim directly from the builder, that is if you are able to make a claim. If this was a typical house sale then i think it unlikely. as far as £50k is concerned. a full re plumb would gost less than 20% of that..

Malcolm Morrison likes this.
  12. just pumps

You type and I read what is infront of me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

13. Malcolm Morrison

the only mark we have found is a kite mark on a pinhole joint can't see any marks on the actual pipe, we have had several reputable plumbers to look at the pipes and they have said several things
    bad installation
    flux left on pipes
    every joint is cut pipe no bends in pipe, which they said could be because plumber knew it was going to split if bent
    turbulence
    they are mainly confined to the hot water system not as yet on the central heating but this could be because we have skirting radiators which come as a complete fitting.
    water board came out and tested water it is fine and nobody else in the village has experienced this, The house was built in 1968 and none of the properties around us are affected

14. Malcolm Morrison

builder subcontracted to plumber and is claiming he at working in debt but is still very active in the area with several developments he will not give his insurance details to us have tried several times to get them my only option as its my disabled sons house is to contact DIY SOS or go to the media We have oak flooring marble stone on the wall in his bathroom and he has disabled equipment which will need to be moved out, why its going to cost so much is everything was done bespoke builder reckons that the plumbing report another builder did for use can't be used as it will make money for that builder. courts have to say for an expert witness to come and give an opinion

15. just pumps

Oh goody another TV home make over programme, shame they never go back after 2-3yrs to see the "snag list". Last one I saw was a death trap.

16. Malcolm Morrison

is there anywhere that you can get copper pipe tested in England?

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

there are metallurgical testing labs in UK." The Test house" in Cambridge is one. they do failure analysis ,corrosion testing and expert witness services. but this is a very expensive route to go down. with regard to " pitting " in copper pipes ,many studies have been done over the years into this and many theories have evolved as to the cause. to the best of my knowledge no difinitive explanation exists ,it is still a bit of an unknown quantity. cited contributing factors being water chemistry ,residual flux, copper tube of questionable quality , electrolysis ,galvanic reaction to mention a few. the idea that anyone can look at a section of your copper tube , do whatever tests ,and stand up in court and say ,without fear of contradiction ,that your leaks are as a result of X ,Y or Z . is improbable. for you to prove negligence in a court ,by the plumber ,the copper tube manufacturer or the water board ,would be a mountain to climb.and I shudder to think of the legal costs involved. I really feel for you as you have this problem thru no fault of your own .my niece had exactly the same problem ,had to have a full re plumb. I have attended quite a few property's over the years who have had leaks thru pitting of copper pipes , and although the consensus of opinion is that it only affects a small amount of plumbing installations no one really knows how many ,and more importantly no one really knows why.

18. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

confused: the way it works is this. You assemble your evidence including your expert witness. You then make a claim in court against the builder. He passes it on to his insurer. Why ask for his insurers name - not your problem. neither is the subcontract plumber. If you paid a builder to do work its his problem. Debt is not excuse for poor work either.

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

nice way of encouraging people to help!

just pumps likes this.
  20. just pumps

It is born out of frustration, the poor little man isn`t getting the answer he seeks so they throw their toys out of the pram. :D