kitchen tap size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by franDIY, Sep 4, 2017.

1. franDIY

franDIY New Member

I need to replace my kitchen sink old tap. My current one has a big base, 19 mm circumference and I've been looking for a tap of the same size. There is a lot of limescale around it and if I replace the tap with something with a smaller base it would not look good. I could remove some limescale but not all of it I suppose. The majority of taps I've seen have a smaller basis, 15 mm, 17 mm at the most. It's an IKEA one but they don't do a similar model anymore. Any advice? Would the limescale go, and would me take long to clean it off? Don't want to replace the tap if the job doesn't look good. Many thanks.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

your measurements are way out .no tap base has a circumference of those stated. is sink stainless steel ?

3. franDIY

franDIY New Member

I took the measurement of the bit 'above' the sink. It's correct. It's millimetres.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

it is not correct .I realise your measuring in millimetres. but you are not doing it properly. the diameter would be greater than what you stated ,the circumference would be much greater. is it a monobloc tap or do you have two separate taps ?

5. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Thanks for helping but I'm sorry, I cannot understand. The circumference is 19 mm the diameter is around 6 mm. I am measuring the tap in the same way I would measure one in display. I cannot see under the sink, will call a plumber to replace the tap. I just need to buy, one that fits.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I can hear the sound of a head banging on a wall Terry. I suspect it's centimetres. If the tap base was approx 6cm (quite plausible) the circumference would be approx 19cm.

terrymac likes this.
  7. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Sorry, circumference is 19 cm the diameter is around 6 cm.

8. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Wanted to get one of the same size as limescale cannot be eliminated completely. And already looked at B&Q and many other stores. There are some taps of this size but not often, so price and style cannot be chosen. Thanks anyway.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

What's wrong with the tap you've got. Can it be refurbished?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Start treating the limescale, with the tap in situ before you have organised the plumber

Can't particularly recommend one product over another, we just buy whatever takes our fancy when doing the weekly shop. Kettle descaler is a good option as well, not as convenient as a spray bottle cleaner but it will shift most limescale given enough contact time

Wrap an old rag around tap base and soak with the cleaner, really soak, then leave overnight

If it's really bad, give several applications, check any specific usage details on label and use advice

When the plumber arrives, just explain you'd like to give the sink and extra scrub once old tap removed. Obviously time is ££ and he's gonna wanna crack on but keep the tea and biccies flowing and that may buy you ten mins. Likely that the new tap will cover a similiar area but there's 1,000s of tap designs never know

Start de scaling tomorrow - why not :)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Thanks for the tips about treating the limescale, before and when the plumber is here. .

I already saw 100 taps and counting... and they either smaller, or the size is not provided and can't be measured for online ones. I'll start removing the limescale tomorrow and keep going, that my solve the problem.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Post a picture of ur current tap please, may well help to sort out

13. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Is there anything actually wrong with the tap other than the limescale?If not it seems like a lot of hassle.

I would try get as much off as you can with something that will not damage the metal- plastic scraper etc then do as above with repeated applications of limescale remover.

14. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Sorry for not taking better pictures. The circumference of the top of the tap ;) (I put a pound on it) is bigger than that at the bottom (which is 19 cm). Now you can see the limescale...:( although the leak is why I want to replace the tap.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

15. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Could be way off here but the black washer / sealing ring looks smaller than the base of the tap, it also looks thick enough to raise the base over the drainage ridge. Is there anyway you could measure the diameter of that ring(?) as it may be closer to a standard size than it first looks.

16. franDIY

franDIY New Member

Good morning

The sealing ring (the black washer that cannot be seen from the outside?) is very likely smaller. I think a standard size tap would do, I just hope the sink area can be cleaned perfectly, as it would not be nice to have a shiny tap surrounded by limescale. That's why I've been looking for a largee-based tap. Thanks everybody.

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

18. franDIY

franDIY New Member

cheers!

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The tap in your pics is a normal sized tap. It just may not be centred properly in the 35mm hole in the sink. Because of the raised drainer ridge to the left of the tap, going for a larger based tap would be hit and miss as far as a new tap overlapping the drainer ridge is concerned. I think you will safe going for a tap base the same size as you have now.

20. franDIY

franDIY New Member

I am very sorry I cannot follow you, I am not that good with taps terminology. And I don't get ''it may not be centered properly'', as it worked fine for many years.

Attached Files: