Need washing machine waste pipe moved

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kaz69, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Hi all

So been in my new house for over a month and last number of days we have loads of rain we have this stagnant water smell from down stairs and can't find the source. So I decide to look over the manhole/inspection covers and the big one for soak away (rain water) is all cloudy white and has the stagnant smell to it. After a while of investigating I find out the old owners have plumbed the washing machine waste pipe to a down pipe connected to the gutter that runs to the soak away, so I've found the problem and disconnected the pipe from the down pipe and then pumped all the water out of the soak away to clear it.

My problem now is the waste water pipe for the washing machine needs to be connected to a waste system but there are no drains near by and the nearest inspection cover for waste water if about 2-3 meters away, I could dig in to our drive and connected it up somehow but I'm not that experienced to tackle it. Our washing machine is in a utility room with a basin wash sink on the other side of the room and I doubt I'll be able to do a proper job connecting the waste pipe to the basin one.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do and also what I can do as a temp job?

Cheer

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

do you have a vertical ,plastic ,soil stack anywhere close to the wash machine ? where does the basin waste water drain to ?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Move the washing machine ?

4. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Terrymac - I can't see one that's near to the washing machine but I think there is one by the basin on the other side of the room as the family bath room is above it and must come down by it and that's where the basin waste water is, but then that's all behind sealed walls so will be a big job.

Mr. Handyandy - would love to but there's no space to move it as the kitchen area is all taken up and the small garage next to the utility room is small only for storage and it's full to the brim. ( previous owners turned the garage into the utility room)

As a temporary job I have thought to let the waste water just flow down my drive and then down the road to find a drain but not nice for neighbours and the waste water could corrode where it's flowing, the other option was to have a bucket or container collect the waste water then I empty it after each us (long winded but would do the trick)

Cheers

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you have a kitchen type sink in the utility room by any chance ?

The hand basin you mention will have 32mm waste pipe and the washing machine requires 40mm waste so not ideal situation, could lead to slow draining and blockages in the future

Not good idea to simply drain over driveway for all the reasons you mention. Also you can't just flop discharge pipe at base of machine onto drive at same level. Needs to be raised to top of drum height otherwise machine will just continuously empty due to gravity

Not sure of ur best option here really I'm afraid

6. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Cheers DIYDave

The basin is 32mm as got a plug on top of it for now, so that's that option out.

I'm calling some builders and plumbers round as it looks like it may be a big job with getting a new drain or gulley to the waste water sorted.

I've found some long flexible hose so going to put that on the waste pipe outside and stick the other end in the waste away chamber just when we are doing the washing and then pack it away after until I can get a permanent solution

7. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Could I replace the 32mm pipe with a 40mm one? not sure where it goes yet as need to pull a board back and inspect. So hoping its not to far in so i can make the change if possible.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

if you can access the soil stack ,where the basin waste meets it ,you may be able to replace it with a 40 mm pipe run ,to take wash machine waste and basin waste.

9. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

cheers terrymac

when you say may be able to what problems would come up? would it not be a straight swap with a little bit of cutting to make the hole bigger or cut the 32 mm pipe small and connect the two pipes?

cheers

10. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

kaz. it depends on how the basin waste pipework connects to the soil stack ( assuming it does as you have not yet confirmed this ). mostly they are solvent welded into a preformed boss. if you expose and post a picture we can then advise further.
    Just pumps , I can't open that link you posted ,but isn't it a 11/2 inch sink trap with a nozzle ??

12. just pumps

Looks like server is down again! Yes it was sink trap with nozzle connection.

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

thanks JP ,but he only has a basin so a sink traps the wrong size ,so is the pipework. but I think you probably already know anyway. regards terry.

14. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Thanks guys, I'm assumeing it's a soul stack connection as just moved in so need to pull some boards back to have a look and take a photo, will get this over tomorrow.

Cheers

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Link won't open so can only guess it's a 32mm waste with spigot ?

Isn't the issue that washing machines are recommended to drain via min 40mm waste

Would imagine it will work but possibly be prone to slow drainage / blockages in the future - dunno really, if that's the only viable option without ripping the house apart, it's gotta be worth a shot eh ! :)

16. just pumps

Some people call basins sinks but hands up I didn`t know it had to be 40mm if I`m honest. lol

17. just pumps

For the cost involved I would (in my own home of course) :)

18. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

DIYDave there may be an option to rip the house out lol if it's prone to slow drainage and blockages I'm just setting myself up for a problem I say.

Tomorrow once I get the board off and have a look at the soil stack then I can give you guys more or an idea . I have a guy coming over Monday to have a look

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Recommended for 40mm isn't the same as 'must' be 40mm. I can't see a problem as the machine outlet pipe is nearly half that anyway. Use the 32mm and keep an eye on it, I say.

20. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Sorry for the late reply on this

Pulled back the board and the waste pipe is connected to the soil pipe, it sits about 60-90cm away from where it goes in a few pics to show.

I'm thinking to try the watching machine on the waste pipe there and see jow it goes,but if I need to change it what's the best option?

Also the Mrs pointed out that the taps there previously gave out water that looked a little brownish, would that be from it not being used in a while or something else?

Attached Files: