Filler loop...not filling

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PlatypusGB, Sep 10, 2017.

1. PlatypusGB

PlatypusGB New Member

Hi, I have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831. Having drained and removed a rad whilst redecorating my dining room I need to repressurise/ top up the system. This is something I've done before with no hassles using the two grey valves under the boiler. Turn from closed to open, watch the guage go up, turn off again.. simple...

However, on this occasion I've opened both valves to a resounding silence.

I tried removing the boiler side end of the feed inlet hose and opening the supply side and water flows fine so it's not like there's a random tap in the supply that's been turned off.

I guess the second valve could be at fault although I've turned it with the plastic head removed and it 'feels' fine. Still nothing.

Are there any other things I can try before I get an expensive gassafe guy in to rummage?

I'm fine with plumbing, but the law prohibits etc.. sigh. Any ideas would be appreciated.

GB

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

odd ,can you post pics ? what happens when you open the valve at boiler end ,with no hose attached ?you may have a non return valve that is seized up and closed.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tried tapping the gauge, might be stuck.

4. PlatypusGB

PlatypusGB New Member

Thanks KIAB but I know the system volume is down from draining the large radiator. Even if it was just the guage I'd expect some movement of water through the filler hose at this point.

5. PlatypusGB

PlatypusGB New Member

Odd indeed.

This is looking up under the boiler. Supply cones in to the right hand grey valve, through Flexi then into the system via the left hand grey valve.

There are, I think, flat head circuit valves but they have no impact.

As you can see the double check valve is on the inlet end and I've had water flowing past that with the small (left) end of the hose detached.

IMG_20170910_144826.jpg

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

left hand valve .remove hose then turn valve on to see if water comes out ( have cloth or towel handy) .if no water comes out your problem is there.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to remove hose from right valve, place hose in container & open left valve, not so messy.:)

terrymac likes this.
  8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

He said he tried that, some kind of air lock going on?

9. just pumps

Retrace your steps to the beginning, any other valve anywhere in the house you turned off?

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

JP he has not tried with the hose disconnected . only a physical obstruction would prevent mains pressure water from entering into the primary system pipework.

11. just pumps

Terry, post#1, 3rd paragraph. However I will back out as I know zilch about boilers only water.

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

good idea Kiab ,easier than my suggestion ,but will give the same result I.e. is left valve obstructed .

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Either Valve could be faulty.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

JP ,of you re read that paragraph ,he is telling us the hose was disconnected and he opened the supply side ( which is the right hand valve on the mains branch ) and water flowed out . the problem is the left hand valve .

just pumps likes this.
  15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

kiab if right valve was faulty he would not get water flowing out of it thru the hose , as he said he gets.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Right valve might not allow water in to system, but allow it to come out.:eek:

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

the right valve is on the mains cold water feed to the boiler and there is a double check valve in line. can't follow your logic Kiab ???

18. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Has the actual boiler pressure been mentioned ?

A reading from the round mechanical gauge and a reading from the digital display as mentioned the round gauge could be giving an incorrect reading.

19. PlatypusGB

PlatypusGB New Member

The is were coming in, through the mains supply Valve and out of the hose which I disconnected. I will note go and try this the other way around but as the boiler is at the top of the system and there is a shortage of water in it I may not get much.

The pressure guage is on zero. Digital sensor suggests 0.4 bar.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm a bit mystified. BRB.

20. PlatypusGB

PlatypusGB New Member

IMG_20170910_174300.jpg

Ok so this is the boiler side valve... The small hose end is the supply from mains. I have disconnected that and opened this valve... Nothing..

So then I used the little tapless square head valve on the side and water comes out of the associated hole so would you agree it sounds like the grey tap valve has probably failed?

The knarley central valve I presume is to isolate the actual heating water circuit. It makes no difference to inlet anyway.