Maintenance free connectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ieuan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

Good Morning

I am wanting to clarify something about maintenance free connectors like - wago / spliceline

Should you need to extend a lighting circuit, using these connectors in an inaccessible location i.e. Under floor boards, will it comply with regs?

Cheers

Ieuan

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes, assuming if using Wago, you use the connectors inside a Wago box. Regular junction boxes won't comply with regs as they're not maintenance free, so Wago type thing is the best option.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Doc - mounted in a suitable enclosure with grips, the Wagos etc are absolutely brilliant. Also the Ashely maintenance free range of JB's are excellent.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes they are fine as long as in an enclosure of some sort, I normally use a "choc-box". I have been using the spliceline connectors for some time which are good. When extending a ring final and the connectors are in a back-box I consider that to be an enclosure.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Wago connectors are NOT maintenance-free.

Only the entire assembly can be maintenance-free. With Wago connectors the ONLY way of achieving a maintenance-free connection is to enclose the appropriate Wago connectors within a Wagobox. (The Wagobox is also only designed to accept certain types of Wago connectors to achieve MF certification.)

leesparkykent and Bazza like this.
  6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Sorry Sen, but Risteard is correct...for once.... as the applicable BS specifies.
    ;)
    RS

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Or use a hager J803 junction box.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The Ashley and Hager are the same product - J803 - three way and J804 - 4 way. The connectors inside are actually Wago ... Ashley/Hager just make the box and fit the connectors.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yeah ok RS, but I never put connections in truly inaccessible places, I only mentioned extending ring finals using Wago's or Splicelines as I think they're less likely to give poor connections than choc-blocks whithin back boxes etc. We tighten the choc-block screws but they do get moved about a bit whilst replacing the socket fronts so could end up loosening a off bit.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Good point Pollowick, so therefore those saying that Wago's are only m/f compliant when contained in a Wagobox is rubbish isn't it!

Pollowick likes this.
  11. leesparkykent

773 and 222 wagos are the only compatible wagos
    I know ;)

12. oddbod2

oddbod2 Member

One more vote for wago and wagobox. Derated to 24A IIRC

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There are some new products due imminently ...

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

pacman-emoticon.png Its amazing

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I'm always correct.

Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Jord86 and leesparkykent like this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only diy myself but have extended the ring in a couple of rooms to add / move sockets. Was certain that sockets were connected via a 'ring' as on a 32 breaker, 2.5mm cable, 2 cables into each socket, and when I pulled both brown cores out the socket, both ends were live

Anyway, I used wagos and put them into a choc box, under floorboards, as much cheaper than the wago boxes

I know I'm diy but like to think I do a nice job and follow recommendations (can't test circuit though as don't have the equipment or full knowledge) :eek:

To my mind, the humble choc box fulfills several requirements;
    Acts as an enclosure, requires a tool to open it as secured by a screw, has holes so can be mounted to a joist and has cord grips at each end

To my mind, along with the wagos, that's good enough (obviously would be even better to use a proper spark and put some money in his pocket but ............:)

If I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn from the pros :D

seneca likes this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I'm still a little concerned that wagos etc, that rely on a simple spring mechanism, and in my view, a very small contact area, are up to the job, whereas a 30A junction box, with huge contact area via a decent screw, are deemed as insufficient.
    Yep I know screws can work lose through load, but tbh I've yet to see it in the real world.
    Views, people?.

18. oddbod2

oddbod2 Member

@DIYDave. Know what you mean re choc boxes.. but since they aint rated maintenance free we cant use them!

@Rulland. I use them cos of the covenience. I'd hate to go back to juntion boxes. They do seem tiny i know, bu those who know more than I have tested them, and I haven't seen one go in service......yet.

19. leesparkykent

John ward done a video on this and the wago starts to give up around the 70A mark.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select