Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thanks @Dr Bodgit I'm still sulking. Siliconed the bottom of bearers where it contacts concrete. Water still gets in. Haven't had a dry day since doing this to seal tops of bearers, So just maybe water is running in top and soaking through wood and just looks like sealing bottom has done nothing?

I think Im going to take some petrol and a match and have bonfire night early this year. :confused:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Gawd, must be galling to have spent all that time and money and still the damn thing lets water in. You need a couple of mates next spring to help you rebuild the cabin properly. You're south west way?

3. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Certainly is frustrating. I'm in Bournemouth. Sunny Bournemouth they say... where rain settles under cabins. :rolleyes:

4. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

so my cabin base is 5300x3800 my concrete base issue is well documented here.

Considering getting on with it asap pending this end of summer storm nonsense.

Will take it and start fresh but I have a base which is about 5mm to 10mm wider than actual base dimensions.

I've been recommended

• Plastic posts
    • Concrete Lintels
    How is this going to work? what is made long enough for new bearers to run the 5300 lengths?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just a thought. The only problem you have is that the existing bearers are resting on the concrete. You just need to lift them off a bit. So I would use treated timbers just like the bearers (perhaps get some that are a little beefier) and use paving slabs or some kind of padstone underneath new bearers at regular intervals. DPC under and on top of padstones, keeps timbers off the ground, minimal extra height and minimal cost.

Could then reuse existing intermediate bearers by lifting them up too in the same way.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you can get it in long enough length, I think 75 x 100 C16/C24 Graded and Treated softwood timbers around the perimeter would be fine, supported every 0.5m to 1m. Could use cheap paving slabs as I did to lift them off the concrete.

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Yes I'm wanting to add better beefier bearers, discard the current ones, but then also keep it off concrete somehow, so slabs or concrete pads? But then they need to be level and fixed to concrete?

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The concrete should be level already, could use layers of DPC as shims if any difference is small. Slabs don't need to be fixed to the concrete as the weight of the cabin will keep everything in place.

snappyfish likes this.
  9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Should be fine, you could use a number of those with spaces in between, to support either the existing bearers, or to replace them. You'd need to keep the bearers I expect as otherwise you have nothing for the floor to sit on?

11. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Yes, will keep internal bearers but thinking of changing the external ring bearers, as looking at them they are not at all straight. As I can see I have little to none of a drip edge as they put them almost flush with the first log I can see where they curve in and out a little.

12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

snappyfish likes this.
  14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

@Dr Bodgit Did you not bolt your bearers to your base? The cabin weight is defiantly heavy enough?

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My 4x2 bearers that make up the sub frame are screwed to the 150mm x 150mm legs, and these legs are just resting on the paving slabs with a DPC in between. The delivery chap reckoned the cabin weighs about 2.5 tonne, add the sub frame and additional roofing bits and it must be 3 tonnes. Most of that is around the outside so that's around 200kg on each leg. I can't see it going anywhere.

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

18. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

what do you think of these?

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Timber-Frame-Base-Pads.html

As I have a concrete pad and just need to raise this might work?

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes they'd work well but quite expensive. Not sure what span would be permitted so how many you'd need.

20. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

So how easy/hard is it going to be getting nails out of the roof without causing havoc?