utility room with shower cubicle

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sams, Apr 7, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

In the IEE Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations, page 62, Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers may be installed in a Bathroom provided that they are:
    1. Installed outside zones 0,1 and 2.
    2. Supplied by a switched fused flex outlet (13A sockets are not allowed)also installed outside zones 0,1 and 2.
    3. Protected by a 30mA RCD.
    4. Designed for such an installation by the manufacturer.

I rest my case..:D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't think many would be compliant with no. 4 JP?
    Can't say for sure though as I've never had reason to check!

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Very true Sen..must admit don't really know owt about the wm etc in the shower room as never have come across that sort of scenario tbqh. With ref to no 4 - maybe the appliance could be put inside a purpose built cabinet? None of it sounds ideal to me - would sooner stick the thing in the shed or whatever tbqh Sen.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I remember putting a w/m in a bathroom for a friend of mine several years ago and drilling through the wall so that it could be plugged into a nearby socket in the hallway. It was a council flat and sometime later someone came from the council to do a routine safety check and made a fuss about it. My friend retaliated a bit so he made a phone call to someone who told him there was no problem at all with it!

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

So all the OP has to do then is hard wire the WM in to a fused switch and he'll be ok then since the WM is outside zone 2.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:D

9. Biochef

Biochef Member

I stayed in a B and B last year in Bradford it had a metal cubicle in bedroom for a shower there're a lot of them out there still in use :eek:

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's the way I see it Phil !

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I guess a room can be any size you want.
    However if someone tried to sell me a 3 bed semi consisting of rooms the size of a shower cubicle.....

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I don't know?
    I do know that the Regs are not statutory in England and I believe Wales so non-compliance is not a criminal offence.
    How are the appliances in the picture connected to the supply?

13. sams

sams Member

i think that answers it