tiles to worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Graham Everett, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I wouldn't think it would show on a 6" plinth.

2. correct phil, a 6mm wedge along a 2 meter length of plinth doesn't show.

3. having finished tiling i thought i would install the oven and hob this afternoon. i wired in the hob and plonked it into the worktop no problem.

onto the oven i was expecting it to have a regular plug on it the same as the old one but no...

i removed the back of the oven and found a block with a live neutral and earth spade connector facility.

so is it just connect up using regular cable and a 13amp plug? are the spade connectors any different to the red blue and yellow ones used in the motor trade?

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Unusual not to have screw type terminals for the cable. Check again. Crimping on spade terminals will be fine though as long as they are large enough for the correct rated cable. Make sure the cord grip is used and working.
    If the oven is over 3000W it should have its own supply and not be plugged into a ring / radial circuit supplying other outlets.

5. Its a ZOB343X, i cant find an official wattage but the oven element is 2000 watts and the grill is less (found on a spare site) so am i safe to assume 13amp plug and wiring?

6. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Just looked up the model number on Zanussi's site and the manufacturers instructions state that it can be connected to a 13A Socket or Fused Spur via a 2,5mm CSA cable.

Snezza.

7. Thanks, i should be able to get it fitted in the morning now

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

It would be better to connect it to the cooker circuit. Less loading on your ring circuit.

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Hudson,
    Do you have a preference? i.e - customer calls you and says we have £x for a kitchen x by x and we want ......

Cheers
    Fats

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

On the subject of kitchens, in comparison to what else is available on the market at the same price, all the sheds and all the trade outlets (magnet,howdens etc) offerings are cheap nasty rubbish. Cooke and Lewis is not good gear. It is a bogstanding offering same as all the others.Magnet and Howdens never stop trying to get me to switch to them.

If you fit kitchens often then there are plenty of internet firms who will supply a much much better product at the same or cheaper.

I fit my kitchens off one supplier up in Yorkshire who I have bought off for many years and the only others are the occasional utility or mates rates buy to let which are Wickes carryout!

Fitted up wirework, fitted up drawer fronts and doors 22 different cabinet colours, abs edging, proper blum fittings , solid backs for great prices.

Sheds and outlets offerings are way behind in terms of quality. I did a Wickes home delivered before Christmas as a favour. Wow it was hard work to get it looking good!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  11. Yeah, that takes skill...

12. I wired and installed the oven today and then when i opened the door and looked inside properly i noticed that the left edge hand where the racks slide in had a scrape down to bare metal and a dent as well...

I was not going to accept this and was due to collect 3 doors to replace the damaged ones that came with my units anyway so took it back with me.

Tony the manager bought the doors out to me and i explained the problem with the oven.

I said i reported the problem with the doors 2 weeks ago and have only just got them and now i have this problem with the oven.

Tony asked why i didnt notice the defect sooner, laughed when he saw the oven and explained to me that his fitters dont have all these damage issues. basically he was suggesting i damaged it, he also asked if i had installed it and i stupidly said yes then he told me he probably couldnt replace it, being electrical if that was the case.

I asked Tony why he was laughing and told him i didnt find it very funny and that i wasnt accepting the damaged oven.

Tony replaced the oven but pointed out that he couldnt tell if it was delivered damaged or damaged (by me) on installation!

I am fairly pleased with the kitchen now but the whole experience has been a bad one, i have had a lot of problems i shouldnt have and although the parts were replaced Tony always made it clear that he thought it was me who must have damaged them and speaking to staff members this seems to be the norm for him and i get the impression they think hes a bell end. On one occasion he was supposed to ring me back on saturday evening and didnt and when i went in on the monday to talk to him and point out i shouldnt have to keep coming in here chasing you up he said "well dont then!!"

So basically i would say dont but a wickes kitchen and if you must dont buy from Brentwood, you might end up dealing with Tony!

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I like Tony hes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat. Sorry Graham couldnt resist. Glad you got your oven swapped. Sounds like you are nearly there now.

It was hard work I can tell you DA. That was the first customer supplied I did for a few years and its the last I will ever do!

14. Phil the Paver

Why don't you report Tony (*******), to head office if your not happy with the service and his attitude towards you, that'll stop him laughing.

15. it may well happen, what concerns me is they may all be like him...

16. Phil the Paver

You may be right, my future son inlaw works for Wickes, his manager is a ******** too.:p

17. Preference????

I have to me sure up and work a plan out to give a quote like any other fitter

18. one last question folks..

what are peoples views on weather you should have grout or silicone along the join between the tiles and the worktop?

i have looked at friends and families kitchens and seen both.

19. Phil the Paver

Not a definitive answer, but mine silicone.:)

20. If there will be any movement, then silicone. If not, then grout.

So, silicone it is. :)

Graham, not doubting what you're saying at all, but it is extremely unusual to have damage inside an appliance. That would really only happen with an item that had been returned from a job - were there any signs that the packaging had been previously opened?

Yep, Tony sounds like a complete tool - what I refer to as a 'typical British manager'. The kind of knob who gets to that position by self-promotion - the one who bull's the best.