Lock barrel is out of sync

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Daniel Hobday, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Daniel Hobday

Daniel Hobday New Member

I unlocked the front door with my key (Euro lock??) whilst a key was (unknowingly) in the barrel on the other side. Got in, and now the keys are out of sync. I can only remove both with the lock undone.
    If I lock the door the key will not rotate far enough to be removed.
    How can I undo this?!

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Lock barrel out of sync?, I think possible it's broken as opposed to out of sync. Remove the cylinder and check it out of the mechanism, if it works as it should then it could be your locking mech, try it and come back with what it's doing...

B J

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

"If I lock the door the key will not rotate far enough to be removed."

Normally, after locking, you will need to turn the key back a bit to remove!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Daniel Hobday

Daniel Hobday New Member

Finally got round to this... The cylinder is out and the arm (?) that rotates is 180 degrees. I can't see how to adjust this, so I think a new cylinder is required.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you were going to attempt to fix it, I would try to do what you did in the first place. Put both keys in, turn any one key only, to get it to the full turn(try not to let the other key turn). Then remove the key that you turned. Turn the other key full one way then full back, and remove it. Maybe it's reset.
    Maybe not.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Daniel Hobday

Daniel Hobday New Member

Hi Andy,

I've tried to rotate one key whilst holding the other rigid, but it isn't happening! No problem, I've learnt a little about locks anyway!

7. adam1964

adam1964 New Member

Good u tube video from locksmart locksmiths, showing how to rectify it by removing c clip from one side of the arm, with key in and pulling barrel out very slightly (about 2 mm) and rotating arm to correct position. Push cylinder back in and refit clip. Worked for me, just be careful not to retract cylinder too far or you will not get it back together.