Electronic Timer Switch : Clipsal E31ETR60 light switch that uses a Neutral connection.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JohnKelvin, Jul 21, 2014.

1. JohnKelvin

JohnKelvin New Member

The wiring diagram is not understood. Instructions read : Connect a resistive load to the N/O terminal or N/C terminal. The diagram shows Neutral wire to Switch Neutral and also to Switch N/O with Live wire to Switch Phase ? Does this mean I need three connections, I am using a redundant Immersion Heater cable and box for the switch in a cupboard and will change the now unused mains fuse to light fuse or alternatively wire this new cupboard light and switch from an existing ceiling light if possible.
    Help would be appreciated.

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  3. JohnKelvin

JohnKelvin New Member

4. JohnKelvin

JohnKelvin New Member

Hello BS,
    Thank you for response. So the Neutral wire from the timer delay switch connection N/O simply connects the light and then returns as Neutral wire back to the original source of the Neutral wire eg a ceiling rose circuit.

Best wishes
    John

5. Bazza-spark

Yes that's correct John. The electronic controls of the timer needs a neutral to work.

Kind regards

BS

6. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

No John that's incorrect you and BS appear to have your (excuse the pun) wires crossed.. at the switch you have 3 connection Perm Live - Neutral - Switch Live.. The N/O connection is a switch live connection to the Load. The drawing that shows the load as a circle with an cross in it shows the switch live coming from the N/O connection of the switch and the Neutral connection connected to the load as well.. It isn't a Neutral from the N/O connection to the load back to the neutral point in a ceiling rose.

7. JohnKelvin

JohnKelvin New Member

Hello Caddy,
    Thank you for trying to unravel the crossed wires. I can see what you are saying although I think it is what I was suggesting but probably not worded clearly.
    Originally I had hoped to use existing twin & earth cable for this timer delay light switch by using it as 3 core cable but forgot about the often not shown in wiring diagrams the earth wire, I now realise that I will need 3 core & earth to connect this timer delay switch. So it is back to the drawing board to decide if I can remove the now redundant twin & earth cable and substitute with the 3 core cable & earth.

8. Bazza-spark

If you read what I said it was that the electronic control circuit needs a neutral to work. I didn't mention the remaining connections.

Kind regards

BS

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Surely it stands to reason that a timer would need a permanent neutral or how would the clock keep working when the timed output was switched off. (unless it was run by battery or clockwork of course)!

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Regardless if the timer requires an earth or not, this core should not be used for anything other than its intended purpose, ie. as an earth / CPC

You do see it used as you have mentioned above, when you need a Neutral, Perm Live and Switched Live (heating installs as another example) but this is a lash up

3 core and earth is the way to go now

Good luck