Ply width for garage cupboards?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by roger06, Aug 29, 2014.

1. roger06

roger06 Member

Hi

I want to knock up some cupboards for general storage in my garage. What thickness ply would you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

18mm should do you for general wear and tear over a period of time.

3. roger06

roger06 Member

Thanks - was hoping I could get away with thinner as I'm surprised how expensive 18mm ply is!

4. Give some more info on cupboard sizes, but anything that'll be taking a load and not wanting it to sag will almost certainly require 18mm.

An alternative method is to construct a timber frame say using 3x2 CLS (which is more like 63mm x 42mm?) and then line it with 12mm ply - or even 9mm for the sides.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Look at spur shelving and conti board, it may end up being cheaper and easier. I think DA meant 63mm x 38mm.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. roger06

roger06 Member

Thanks

Yes I was going to build a frame out of 2x4 or similar...

7. Er, as Chips says, 63x38... :oops:

Rog, if you give us a better idea of what you are hoping to achieve - perhaps a sketch which you can photograph to put on here - then I'm sure peeps on here can give more useful advice.

4x2 with 18mm ply? You gonna be parking yer car on that?

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

That's some serious shelving. Have a look at Ikea. They do a solid wood (pine) shelf system that may work out cheaper / ready cut.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've built storage cupboards and shelving in my garage and used the green chipboard flooring sheets - 2.4 x 600 x 18mm

The green ones are moisture resistant - P5 I think and have lasted well in my garage (and I've had a few leaks over the years, the flat roof is shot to poo)

Hell of a lot cheaper than ply, goes without saying

As above, any wide span will need supporting to prevent sagging, plan on paper first, depending on what your planning on storing (that's how I work anyway) !

I filled up all spare space in my garage and built some specific sized for particular items, the rest just divided up the space into equal size modules

Ran some long lengths of shelving and used "London" brackets
    Found the shelves where a bit springy so added some lengths of threaded rod with nuts and plate washers and hung these off the roof rafters. Tightened the shelving up a treat

10. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Roger, have you considered 18mm mdf? I suspect you want to make frameless units and therefore you have to use 18mm. Have you got a pocket hole jig? If you have it's a piece of pxxs. I think our hosts sell them if not.
    The doors need affixing with self closing euro-hinges and again you can buy the correct forstner bit from our host.
    I would definitely go for mdf.