Water based gloss \ satin

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Sep 10, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all,

I've got the usual problem of yellowing woodwork in a downstairs toilet, last painted with Dulux satinwood white, solvent based

This room also has no window and I've read that a lack of natural light will speed up the yellowing process

Looking at decorating the room soon and was going to try the Leyland water based range, either white gloss or satin. Have heard it gives good results and will resist yellowing much better

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-t...g-paint-white-2-5ltr/88133#rating_link_anchor

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-fast-drying-gloss-paint-white-2-5ltr/80033

Anyone on the forum used either of these paints and can comment in any way - good or bad will be appreciated

Many thanks

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I have to use water based gloss paints at work. All I can say is that, yes it does stay white a lot longer than 2010 compliant oil paints, but the gloss (if you can call it that) isn't as glossy as oil based. ;);)

3. Has good reviews there.

I've used a few different makes of solvent-free satinwood paints, and they are more alike than they are different.

In general, they won;t be as tough and durable as oil-based, don't finish as 'thick' so will almost always require at least 2 coats, and one of their biggest advantages - the quick drying - can be a pain when doing tricky jobs like panel doors.

BUT, they do remain white! (Yes, you are right - solvent paints use light to keep them white...)

Use a soft bristle brush and don't brush out too thinly. It does tend to dry nice and flat, so don't worry too much about getting rid of every brush mark and making it worse as the paint dries - goods chance it'll be fine when fully dry.

I've only used 'satinwood' and not gloss. I suspect the gloss - because it won't be 'high' gloss but still be shiny - will look cheap. I'd personally go for satin for interior woodwork.

One other characteristic - it does tend to remain 'tacky' for weeks or months. I don't actually mean tacky to the touch, but if there's a flat surface (like a window cill) and you leave an object sitting on it, then beware... :(

Absolutely give it a go.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks JJ & DA for your replies, interesting points made

Been reading some reviews on these water based paints and as above, a lot of for and aginst discussions, probably more against actually

I'm only going to try the water based as this room has no natural light and the yellowing process has definitely been speeded up. Last painted the internal woodwork about 6 years ago with solvent based Satinwood and elsewhere it still looks decent

Will give it a try and report back, thanks again guys