workshop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by vinnyb, Sep 29, 2014.

1. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

i'm setting up a workshop to do woodwork, do i need a chop saw as well as a table saw, or is the table saw sufficient

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Depends what your going to be making. Chop saw has it's uses. Sliding bevel would be my personal choice, (can be used to cut tenons, if it has a depth gauge on it) ;);)

3. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

i'll be making stuff for the house and the workshop, first job is a router table, then just doing things for fun,lots of practice in making joints, i haven't done any woodwork for donkeys years, but i'm retired now so want to get back into it, yes i've seen a sliding bevel one with a depth gauge on screwfix, i might go for that one, thanks

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Both would be ideal and if theres space a bandsaw would make an ideal addition.

5. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

yes was thinking about getting all 3, i will get a bandsaw, bugger it i'll get all 3 thanks

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Depending on your budget and size of workshop a plunge saw with a rail system such as the Festool T55 can cut all your panels and take up a lot less room than a full size table saw and then you only need a small table saw for dimensioning.
    You will still need a chop saw,

7. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

thanks for that i'll have a look at the Festool T55

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You could go for a radial arm saw like the Dewalts. It will do all the cross cutting and the saw can be revolved around to rip your materials. In the past they could also be used in conjunction with a router subject to the additional parts.

You mentioned you wanted a router table earlier perhaps this could be an alternative? the router would be mounted the correct way up! - so much easier to do all the settings etc.

9. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

thanks for your reply i'll have a look at the radial arm saw, i hadn't thought of one of them

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unless you buy an old wadkins type they aren't that accurate and a modern, sliding bevel chop saw is much more useful.
    I've never been able to work out what Jitender does but it mostly seems to involve Google.
    There are cheaper plunge saws than the Festool but it is the best.

11. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

yes i like the look of the Festool i'll probably get one as you said it takes up less room than a table saw, and i'll get a sliding bevel chop saw and a bandsaw and i'll be well set up then

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

what size is your workshop going to be ??

13. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

i'm getting a wooden shed 14ft by 8 ft

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your first job should be to make some trestles so you can cut 8' x 4' sheets outside, a cheap pop up gazebo helps in wet weather.

15. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

thanks for that the common sense answers are the best

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Radial arms are a waste of time. Not accurate and not really good at anything. If Jitender has dragged up something about using a RAS as a shaper then Google must have access to the woodworking ideas from the 70s.

First thing to sort before anything is dust extraction. If you are going to get a few machines in ideally get a stationary one like the SIP one for about a ton and a portable one for power tools.

Agree fully on the track saw. Scheppach and Triton have recently launched their own budget versions. Fully good enough for home use.

I would go for a table saw as a first machine. It will make life enjoyable being able to accurately rip down timber with ease. If you have the track saw you wont need to bother with a big sliding carriage. Second I would get a little planer thicknesser, the Erbauer one at £200 would do for that. Square and straight timber makes woodworking easier!

Bandsaws aren't really my thing, I have never had one in my workshop.

Good luck.

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

good size then
    plan it well with the slider/chop saw near the door opening to allow you to cut long timbers
    make sure the slider has a depth stop to allow trenching/cutting grooves
    the bars must remain parallel to the base with the cutting head "nodding" to trench

18. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

goldenboy, agree about the radial arm saws, don't like them and they're too expensive, i'll have a look at the sip for dust extraction, i'll also have a look at the cheaper track saws, the festool is nice but costs too much, i have a table saw and a planer/ thicknesser,on my saved list, re the bandsaw i thing i've been watching too much norm abrams he's always using his
    Big Al,thanks for that i was wondering where to place things tha's good advice about the sliding saw

19. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member

20. vinnyb

vinnyb New Member