Safe/correct way to tidy up wiring from old eleccy shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jimwillsher, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Hi folks

I'm removing an electric shower in our house and replacing it with a conventional shower - the builders kindly plumbed both hot and cold feeds to the cavity and capped the hot, so it's not a huge job.

What's the safest way for me to deal with the shower cable that's no longer required? I want to leave the wiring in the walls as far as the neon switch, should anyone want to swap it back in the future (you never know...). I'll remove the wire from the neon switch to the shower cavity as that's just poked through a hole so easy to reinstate.

Am I best to stick a 32A junction box on the exposed ends of the wires (inside the wall where the neon switch will be removed) and leave it dangling in the wall, and also pull the tails out of the fuse in the CU? Or remove the fuse from the CU altogether? Or something else? Or am I safe to just pull the wires from the CU and tuck them back up into the garage ceiing above the CU, and not worry about the tails at the neon switch?

I realise I'm teeting on Part P stuff here, but the end result will be no circuit rather than a new circuit so I'm not too worried. But I do want to follow best practises.

Many thanks

Jim

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Jim,
    Best not to have any un-terminated cables in the consumer unit, so i would remove from there altogether.
    To keep things neat, you could enclose the old cable in something.

I would terminate the supply to the isolator in something suitable, such as a junction box.

Don't forget to label up the old MCB to unused to prevent any future confusion.

Satnam likes this.
  3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Cheers Fats, sounds good to me.

Many thanks

Jim

FatHands likes this.
  4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

You could block and tape the ends, leave a tag on stating what they are for and tuck them away in the box.

FatHands likes this.