Joist span

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Ianauto, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ianauto

Ianauto New Member

Hi,

I have removed the ground floor ceiling from a large 3 story victorian property. This has revealed what appear to be the original 2"x9" joists at 3' spacing spanning 6m, with bracing between the joists along the centre. The joists are bowing down with the centre of the joists dropped by approx 40mm. There are no internal walls above or below. The ground floor is to be a cafe with flats above. I suspect an internal supporting wall on the ground floor has been taken out in the past. I'm am quite concerned. Do I need to provide additional support? An internal wall can't be added, so would I have to put in a steel lintel along the middle perpendicular to the joists set into the walls.

Regards,

Ian.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Off the top of my head I think 9"x 2"will span about 4.5M at 400mm centres so you have an extra 1.5M span at double the spacing, no wonder it's dipping.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Had a look at the span tables and it was 4.58M at 400mm centres

FatHands likes this.
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

....and if it is going to be a cafe, anything heard on here will be worthless.

This needs proper professional rules and regulations adhering to. You know that.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep,, Bacon butties need to be on doorstep sized bread. Full English breakfasts need to have bacon, black pudding, sausages, eggs, toms, beans and hash browns, together with lashings of HP sauce. Tea needs to be served in a mug (not a cup) and waitresses need to be suitably attired in mini skirts and nice low cut blouses. :p:p

malkie129, FatHands and Ianauto like this.
  6. Ianauto

Ianauto New Member

What would be a suitable type and size of lintel?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Metal, big.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to get a structural engineer in to do calculations.
    Without those building control wont pass anything anyway.

9. Abby Eden

Abby Eden New Member

need to replace a 4 by 13 by 23 feet support beam, with a steel beam thats is narrower to allow garage door installation. What size beam would that be?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

See above