No key for upvc door

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pagloss, Feb 15, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

There are loads of video's on you tube showing this exact method in great detail
    Explains, as someone mentioned here that on some doors, the barrel is too long so can be whacked and snapped in seconds, without even removing the handle

It's a difficult one to police (no pun intended) How do you stop this info falling into the wrong hands - not simply someone who has lost their key

You can find all sorts of info on the internet.....Some good, some bad and some, well ......interesting

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

And I still haven't got any 'Likes ' :(...

KIAB, Matt Rushworth, Pagloss and 2 others like this.
  3. I've just 'liked' your deep sense of self-pity... :p

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

There you go, you've got 2 now :p

5. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Understand what youre saying Malkie butI think the thing was you have to take the handles off first which are unscrewed from the inside in my case. Im not sure I couldve done the same thing from the outside with the handle on because there was no barrel showing.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

That's a fair enough point. :)

7. thelockman

thelockman New Member

8. SNB

SNB New Member

Having lost the key to our kitchen door, this morning I snapped off the euro lock as described. It took a good few hits, but eventually went. However, I managed to push through the second half of the lock and lost several pieces, including the lug that turns and throws open the lock. So the door is now minus the euro lock mechanism, but still firmly closed. I've tried to throw the lock using an angled screwdriver with no success - but then I have no real idea what I'm feeling for or how difficult this would be to do. Before I give up and call in a locksmith, does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Cheers.

9. You will probably need a euro cylinder tool, they are widely available and cost about £10-£12 . It has a special design that will enable you to turn the lock to open the door.

SNB likes this.
  10. SNB

SNB New Member

Fantastic. Thank you London Mike.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or think about how the lever actually works, and fashion some tool to simulate it(bent screwdriver or allen key maybe).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. rd1

rd1 Member

I also changed my locks to the ABS Mk 3 once I saw how quick the outside lock could be 'bumped'. One of the extensive crime prevention video I saw took max 30 secs including getting the aluminium handle and cover off the front exposing the euro lock which was gripped and snapped with molegrips so not even the noise of a hammer blow. The video also shows that now you can even legally purchase a wheelbrace type wrench that is designed to fit the eurolock to enable you to snap it. The Mk 3 still snap but do not allow the inner levers to be exposed so unable to tamper and open but I have no doubt that there is already a method for getting through them. Hopefully they will deter the opportunistic thief.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

ABS Mk 3 are pretty secure, they snap in two places, so I can't see any burglar hanging around long enough to get through them.

Seen :)this.

15. MonkeyTrousers

MonkeyTrousers New Member

Have to +1 this. I know it's an old post but this really works. No damage, new lock fitted in under 5 minutes. Great bit of advice!