flow rate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bomberns127, Oct 21, 2014.

1. bomberns127

bomberns127 New Member

hello i have 9 litres a minute at my outside tap (only tap on 15mm downstairs at the mo, makeshift kitchen has undersink heater) my plumber says this is fine for a combi, i used to have a regular boiler till we knocked down the kitchen, it was old in the 80's when we moved in and actually fell apart the moment we took it off the wall, now the kitchen is getting to the point of completion-ish and i need to get the ch system fitted, my plumber used a flow cup, he says 8 lt a min and above is ok for a combi, but surely if you are not getting the flow in you wont get it coming out? do i need to tell him to fit a regular boiler, the pipework is still in under the floors and the tanks are still in the loft albeit 30 years old, he has told me to replace all the pipework because of age and a combi will be a cheaper option but will it fill a bath ok, there is 4 adults, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and the boiler will be situated just below the bathroom next to the kitchen
    thanks for any help

2. 9 lpm? Blimey - that is very poor, I'm afraid.

If you have been used to a decent flow from your taps coming from a stored water system, then I think you will find 9lpm quite pitiful.

Will it work? Probably yes, but it's really the bare minimum. Will it fill a bath? Of course, but - man - you'll have to wait.

He's right in that it'll be a cheaper system to install, but that's no good if it won't deliver the goods.

As you say, 9lpm water going in to the boiler will likely have a little less coming out. And turn on a cold tap at the same time as a hot, and you'll have a trickle.

Here's something else you should consider, and can try - attach a hose to your outside tap and see what the flow is like. Now take the end of that house up to your upper floor (hang out the window and grab the hose as someone throws it to you!).

You say your bathroom is on the upper floor? Ok, try filling a container from that hose for 20 seconds as you hold it at that height. Times the litres x 3 to get litres per minute.

So, what's the flow rate upstairs? 'Cos that's what'll come out your bath taps.

It's your call. It will 'work', but I personally think you'd find the poor flow rate very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  3. bomberns127

bomberns127 New Member

have contacted the local water board who are going to look into replacing my old lead supply pipe with a new plastic pipe, of course i have to pay from boundary to stop tap, and for their 3 foot of pipe to the shut off valve in the street its free! lol amazing innit