Yellowing paint.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Sep 23, 2014.

1. proby

proby Active Member

Think more damp surface rather than soaking wet. It's one of those things that you hear and think it will never work, give it a try if you find it helps the paint flow better and keeps a wet edge longer great. I have done it just damp and it is better with the flow of the paint. It's like when you see the videos by crown and the like recomending to use a 9 inch roller with water based paint on doors. Not something I've risked trying yet but it's what's recomended with the new paints coming on the market.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exact and spot on reply Proby. :)

3. Billy the brush

Billy the brush New Member

Gotta agree with Astra on this one!
    I would sometimes use a damp sponge, and when I say damp I mean barely wet, not dripping with water!
    Certainly helps when working in a warm atmosphere.

4. supertosh

supertosh Member

I could just about go with a damp sponge in a warm/hot environment but could never accept spraying a door with a mist spray.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'Mist spray' as in application tool, 'mist' as in damp.

6. Boolay

Boolay Member

Have to agree with Astra, even says to on dulux website

7. Ghuvnor

Ghuvnor New Member

professional kitchen painters use the mist spray , when applying water based paints . no. it doesn't thin the paint it gives a flawless finish .well done astramax you are 100% correct

8. supertosh

supertosh Member

Called into Jonstones yesterday, whom said; "we will not guarantee any of our paints if the surface isnt dry and free from grease - which is good enough as i only use their paints whenever possible.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought we were talking Dulux Trade techniques on this one! :confused:

10. proby

proby Active Member

I use johnstones as well and like I said a damp surface helps with the flow of the paint, I have used a conditioner in it as well and that's been ok. To be honest I think you would be hard pushed to to get any paint manufacturer to honour their Garentee with out trying to wriggle out of it. But if you just want work the way you always have that's fine.

11. supertosh

supertosh Member

Oh rite. so this is only a dulux thing then?

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well not really, I've just tried to keep it simple for you! :cool:

13. supertosh

supertosh Member

Either we are or we are not!

Astramax said:
    "Thought we were talking Dulux Trade techniques on this one!"