Water sodden carcase - how to make look good?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Oct 22, 2014.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hello guys,

I have found (or rather Mrs MJ has) a dripping kitchen tap tail that has soaked the base of an under sink cabinet. As a guess it has been dripping for a while as the wall and sides are also sodden and wet in places (just what we wanted when we returned form a week away :-( )

The cupboard's base board, at least, has swollen and the neat visible edge of the base doesn't look so good. The vinyl wrapped upright at the centre front may also be damaged but hopefully it will dry out ok.

How can I repair/replace the damaged base part to make it look good?

Because of plumbing, worktop etc the carcase would be very difficult to replace. I am thinking that maybe I could cut off a strip, say 100 mm wide across the whole of the base and replace it. However, this would be a fiddle to do and finding raw material laminated and 18 mm think may be a problem (Contiboard is too thin IIRC).

Help please.

Much appreciated, Steve

2. Hi Steve, can you show us a photo so's we can see how bad it is?

However, if it's the base board, I wouldn't be looking at cutting a strip out of it 'cos it would seriously weaken the unit. Aen't the unit's legs sitting on that base, for example?

How to sort, then? I dunno...

But I think it would involve allowing it to FULLY dry, cutting away any soft fibrous parts until you get to solid material again, filling that with a strong filler - like car fibreglass filler - and then covering the whole bottom with either stick-down melamine sheet (sticky-roll type stuff) in a matching 'beige' or whatever finish you have, or else even a thin (4mm) sheet of veneered (I don't mean with a real wood layer) ply or similar.

Anyways, photo?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As said a picture will help, but you might just be better cutting a bit of contiboard to fit and screwing it down over the damaged bit it will only loose you 15mm in the cupboard.
    Chipboard in my experience never recovers from a soaking.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Only thing that'll make it look good at this time of year is a bonfire. ;);)

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you for the help (bonfire excluded). Here is a photo of the damaged carcase.

You should see that the front edge at the bottom has dark lines due to the water, also the central support near the bottom has swollen a little and the wrap has loosened.

At the moment the doors are off and shelf out to help it dry as I've been fixing the leak. Thats why I delayed posting this - to concentrate on fixing the leak.

So, what options to make good please?

Thanks, Steve

upload_2014-10-25_22-49-43.jpeg

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

A follow up.

I propose to fit an aluminium liner in the base of the cupboard. Mrs M-J seems please withthe idea, so that a winner for me all round :)

Cheers guys, have good weeks :)

Steve

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Chuck it away.

8. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

No good to say to dispose of the carcase as I would have source a replacement and fit it in the existing space.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yup. That one is knackered, throw it away and fit a new one or live with it.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Buy and fit a new floor and pole and get rid of the old.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

You can get a sink base unit liner that is designed to protect the unit from this. It is also very good for hiding this sort of damage. :p
    Made of a thin pressed ally. It covers the base, lips up the sides a little and also lips right round the front edge of the base shelf.
    Used to fit them for Magnet kitchens. Try a google search or I can later.

12. Hi Steve. Ignore the prophets of doom...:rolleyes:

Unless your base panel and centre rail are completely soft and squidgy, it'll be fine.

One thing - does your unit have telescopic plastic legs under it to keep it off the floor? If so, does it have a central one too?

Can you pull off the plinth and have a gander - if there isn't something supporting the base panel especially near the front edge (just behind the plinth) it may be worth cutting a short length of timber to fit snugly under there to do so.

Might no0t be necessary, but possibly worth a check.

13. metrokitchens

Or just wedge something on top of the plinth if it is not tight ;)

14. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I fitted an aluminium liner over the bottom of the carcase. It now all looks good with much less cost and importantly much less effort than replacing the whole cuboard.

Thanks again for all the inputs. Especially DA.

Steve

15. metrokitchens