Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi UP.

Is this the remote controlled version? If so it sounds like something interfering with the remote control sensor.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No mate its the bog standard manual version, push-on, turn to dim, push-off. This particular switch plate is white and has a thin metal plate surrounding the dimmer module that would suggest it is some kind of shield, but not sure.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

This is the switch in question.

Attached Files:

4. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Had you gone through the dimmer programming? you often do with the LEDs to get the dimming right

5. Bazza-spark

Yes I agree Caddy, that was my next question.

6. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

she may have inadvertently put it into programming mode, or it could well be just a faulty dimer that is stuck in that mode.. either way depending on when you did the job you may want to just do it FOC if its just swapping a faulty dimmer.I usually in the first 1 - 5 months just swap the faulty item FOC 6 - 12 months Materials FOC but bill for labour Sometimes a reduced rate depending on exact time taken.. after 12 months charge for labour and materials.

7. Bazza-spark

I would be inclined to try the unit in my own home somewhere for a few days. See if it misbehaves with me having programmed it for my use. If it doesn't work with me FOC replacement for her. If it works, try it again.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Its not programmable. There is no adjustment on it to vary the dim minimum. I know the ones you mean, for example, I have used Danlers moduler version that has an adjustment on it so you can limit how dim the LEDs go. Too far and they go out completely. This customer is acidic and I don't want to deal with her. It is unfortunate that the bloody dimmer has acted up. Any other job I would have gladly replaced it but its just rubbing salt in to the wound I'm afraid.

In fact I'm just going to change it for another one. Denmans have no issues swapping it so I'll do that and hope for the best. :) Just another visit to grin and bear then wash my hands of it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Varilight pro do have a minimum set point, and require setting up. Often they won't work at all out the box. The wholesaler sees loads of people bringing them back assuming they're faulty. You definately have the pro?

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Blimey! I am a twit. :rolleyes: I didn't read the instructions. Its probably in configuration mode. I'll go back and see if I can get it to operate. I'll take the instructions with me. :mad:

11. Mick Spencer

Mick Spencer New Member

Had one as good as this with an Old MEM Memera 2000 consumer unit with an 100A 100mA RCD upfront. A Tennant at a local authority property said every time he used CB equipment it blew the RCD off. 21 years as a sparky and I've never seen this but it certainly did. I watched in amazement as the guy made the RCD incomer trip using radio waves only.
    The only solution to this was a full mains Change to a Wylex NH1404 100A Main Switch Unit and RCBO'S, which thankfully did the trick.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ok. I can't sort out one issue which is easily solved without expense. I have said not to operate the socket switch with the lights on. Operating the switch acts like a remote and I wasn't able to solve it. Everything else is ok now.

13. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I assume the LEDs are dimmable types? You say MIN load 10W - are the LEDs definitely above that?
    Tell here to wear sunglasses if she wants it dimmer.

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

The Varilight dimmers come with an entirely incomprehensible instruction leaflet, UP.

They can be programmed for several different scenarios and you have to choose the one that suits best. You can find it on their website if you've thrown it away.

Generally they are the best dimmers for LEDs, but:

I do know for a fact Varilight dimmers don't like Osram GLS LED bulbs and go 'disco' after a while (a 'normal' Scolmore Click dimmer works for these if the Wattage is enough).

The dimming and brightening cycle is part of it's set-up cycle, and will happen if the dimmer is switched on-off a couple times quickly. Another part of the set-up cycle is whether the dimmer is turned to min or max.

The instruction leaflet was written by someone who obviously has never been out of an R&D lab. I've been driven to distraction, hate and near violence by it.

Good luck.

[edit] Phone JCC and ask what they recommend [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes I know what you mean, stateit. :) It is not so much the instruction leaflet as the nutty way the dimmer behaves in response to programming instructions. :confused:

16. MainBond006

MainBond006 New Member

Hi Un, sorry to hear that mate, I know the type all too well.
    I totally agree with BbJj on on this one - tell them the cost to carry out said works and then walk. Tell them to call u when they decide!
    End of!

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You know what, I have never understood, and never will understand, why wealthy people are so tight fisted. :mad: To rub salt in to the many wounds on this ******* job I asked the builder for £50. Fifty bloody quid. He is minted. He dropped £40 off last night and his excuse was "everyone had let him down on the job and it was a matter of principle" (that he didn't think the moving of the outside light fitting was worth £50 so he decided £30 was enough and gave me half.)

After a long and painful conversation with him about it all I have decided not to work for him again. Every bloody job I did with him had problems. Enough is enough.

18. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Been there recently mate with a builder,fitted bathroom never spoke money because I've done lots of jobs for them,what a mistake my invoice was paid £550.00 short:mad::mad::mad: That was the end of that working relationship, the strange thing is the customer loved the bathroom and gave me a nice tip when I finished.
    Thinking about it now I think the builder fooked his quote up and my short fall was some of his cushion.:(
    Hope things work out for you Unphased.;)

19. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Simple, the more money they have, the more they want, F eck em.

B J

Rulland likes this.
  20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Simple. They're wealthy because they're money-grabbing greedy b*st@rds to begin with.

Rulland likes this.