Worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Spinyadas, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Good evening All,

I am looking for a little bit of advice in regards to installing a worktop in my new kitchen. I have installed all the base and wall units and have got to the worktop and I have a piece laminate 4.1m long down one wall and another piece about 2.5m how can I join them so they look like one piece. I am assuming a professional would cut a mitre join in. This is my first attempt at installing a kitchen and its in my first home I have learnt a lot but have battled all the way but having fun.

I also wondered if you can run the ducting for the extractor hood in the ceiling under the 2nd floor the joists run the right way. Just wondered as would look a lot neater than running about the kitchen units to get to external wall thoughts ????

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you need a router and a jig to make a propper job unless its fully square with no shape to the front edge
    under the joists is------------

---------------------fixed to the ceiling as you cannot remove any material from a joists bottom edge

are you aware off partP when altering wireing in special locations??

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Part P doesn't matter if you're working in your own home.
    You would probably need to lift the floor upstairs to see if any pipework was in the way.
    You can get joining strips to join the worktops but a masons mitre requires a lot of expensive tools and a degree of expertise, expect to pay £50.00+ per join for someone to do it for you.
    You need to rethink your layout for your tops to be 3.6M and 3.1M unless you want to spend megabucks.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Get a pro in to fit the tops.
    £75 per mitre join inc bolts, biscuits, colorfill.
    £20 per cut out inc seal.
    £15 per cut & edge end inc adhesive.

5. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Thanks people sounds like I need to find someone in cheaterfield area that can cut for me. The joists are running the right way and no pipe work already had floor up just wondered about condensation so was thinking to use solid pipe through void with a slight fall on it. In regard to the part p stuff I am a sparks by trade ( all be it from nz) but was planning on getting property tested and inspected upon completion as have found some right ****** stuff lol.

6. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Extractor ducting between joists is Ok providing you aren't cutting into any joists. As you say ensure any condensation in the duct can't run back by putting a slight fall on it toward the exit - check the run length and cross-section meets the spec for the extractor fan and remember any changes in duct route direction mean you loose flow.
    Don't ruin your nice new kitchen by using worktop joining strips - they look c**p. If you can't find anyone to do the mitres try asking nicely for a fitter's name in your local kitchen showroom.

7. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Thanks Tartan yeah have managed to get a joiner to come at weekend with all gear to join worktops so that will sort that the run for extractor is only 2m and a case of into ceiling and straight out so should be ok. any thought best place to get solid ducting it seems very expensive for what it is ?

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Length of 100mm soil pipe does the job. Or 100mm drain pipe.

9. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

I like the sound of that thnk you metro.

metrokitchens likes this.