Tile Grinding Wheel

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Adam Price, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Adam Price

Adam Price New Member

I have moved into a new house and want to fit a shower screen. The one I have bought requires a metal bracket to be fitted to the wall first. Sadly the tiles are all flat apart from one row (they are different design) which are raised. This row runs around the bath half way between the bath and ceiling.

On searching the internet people suggest grinding the tile down just enough to create a gap for the shower screen bracket. I would only need to grind away a 6cm^2 area and about 4mm of height so not a big area. The key thing is I don't want to remove the tile from the wall to do this, as otherwise I would have to re-grout it.

My question is what grinding wheel to use? I know for cutting tile you want a diamond wheel but what about grinding the top.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Adam Price

Adam Price New Member

Would that be safe to use? I thought you were not meant to use cutting disks for grinding as they are not designed to apply pressure from being pushed down.

I suppose It's tile and not metal so not a lot of pressure will be needed.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It will work, have been doing it for years using a bigger disc on block paving, just don't force it, the disc will do all the work, you just need to guide it.;)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or you could cut straight through the tile, break it out, and fill with a flat off-cut of other tile.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Handy, he's just moved into a new house, so it's unlikely he'll have any of the original tiles (as it's already tiled) ..
    Adam, the disc mentioned earlier (diamond tile cutting disc will work. Dunno if it would fit in a small hand held grinder though , as the hole in the middle has to be the same size as the arbor on the grinder you'd use. You could possibly use a Dremel rotary tool with a suitable Dremel bit. I do know they do a diamond cutting disc for them.
    I assume from your original post that all you have to cut is a groove through the raised tile for the shower screen to fit into.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Jj, he doesn't need any original tiles, he can fill it with a standard bit of tile, as he will be putting the frame over the bit he has taken out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really