Just bitten by cowboy decorator need help..plasterboard ceiling repair paint following leak&damp

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Endemic, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Endemic

Endemic New Member

I had a little leak from boiler lime scale remover that caused damage to lower flat bedroom ceiling. Got the leak fixed over 2 months ago...

Hired a guy to repaint neighbours bedroom ceiling but he made it 10 times worst. He scrapped ceiling damaged area with scrapper and painted with crown matt emulsion... Did 3 coats within 3 hours and said ceiling is still so damp yellow patches and droplets ate coming and even paint fell off while he was painting...

Blames everything to ceiling still damp and need hot air blower etc. the ceiling is so uneven now and totally unacceptable. I wasn't home to oversee this and the guy took money and went away.

Totally screwed and cash strapped i need help to get it fixed can anyone please tell in a lay man language what is needed to repair it and how is it repaired plus possible cost involved?

If anyone can help repairing it as a good will not charging me alot (Sutton Surrey SM5) will help me get my sleep back.

Room size is apx 10x10 feet

Thanks in advance

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably covered by your buildings insurance cover.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

EVERYBODY KNOWS that paint will only apply to a dry clean surface, the damp ceiling will need to dry out or repaired before any painting can be done,

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Needs to dry completely, any loose paint scraped off and have a couple of coats of stain blocker before repainting.
    Horrible job, because he has no doubt made the problem as you say 10 times worse.
    Not a fan of Crown either, but that's not the main issue.

A photo might help.

5. proby

proby Active Member

I had to go and quote a job once the lady had said the decorators had let them down and she wasn't happy with the finish. It was a terrible job both the painting and papering. I didn't even bother quoting when she let it slip they were really not decorators but a couple of blokes from the pub decorating a two bedroom flat for £170. You get what you pay for.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Assuming ceiling is straightforward joist and plasterboard construction (or possibly lathe and plaster) then surely it would have dried out as the leak was fixed over 2 months ago ?

Bad finish probably down to poor prep, no stainblock applied and then lashing on the emulsion

Shouldn't be too hard to rectify by yourself with just basic diy skills, especially as understandably, your trying to reduce any further costs

Post a picture of the repaired area and I'm sure that more advice will follow

FatHands likes this.
  7. supertosh

supertosh Member

Yea, post a pic if possible, don't panic though - even though it sounds like a cpl of right old cowboys have screwed it up, it can be repaired at a minimal cost. Lets see a pic and we'll talk you through the repair process. Best thing for now though is not to touch it until you are absolutely sure the area is dry.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Water damage to plasterboard or other painted surfaces, really needs to be sealed with an oil based paint prior to emulsion paint. ;);)

9. If its the plasterboard thats damp then it may need replacing as water will penetrate almost anything you paint on it, alternatively you can get a dehumidifier in for a week to draw out the moisture, then repaint. pics would be helpful

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015