SDS

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kathekas, Nov 28, 2014.

1. kathekas

kathekas Member

When I buy an SDS bit its lovely and shiny and the size is clearly marked.

After a while slight surface rust appears making it had to see what size the drill bit is.

I normally I rub a little bit of water on the area where the size is marked to help me see the size of the bit.

Do any readers have any suggestions for making the size of older drill bits more clear?

Thanks for read.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Unless it's an "engineering" type of job, (in which case you probably wouldn't be using SDS anyway!) the exact size not that critical is it?

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Water is not the best way to remove rust !!!! Try a piece of "Scotchbrite" or steel wool with 3in1 oil or WD40.

4. Buy a set of bits in a moulded case wot has the drill sizes clearly marked on it...

Jeepers, this has to be the most finicky Q yet posted on SF!

Ok, ok, ok... First wire-brush the engraved size on the drill so's it's spanking. Then spray the engraved size with a light-coloured spray colour - white, silver, red, pick, orange, pale blue, bright yellow, dark turquoise, medium sepia... and allow to dry. Then go over the size with some fine-grade paper - ooh, 220 grit, or 260, or 320, or 400, or 5-something, or 600.

But - sand using a solid block to hold the paper so's the engraved bit ohIcan'tbearsed...

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

wrap different coloured electrical tape around the shafts, then keep a log of the colour to size.

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take a hacksaw(really) and slightly cut a number of lines along the widest part of the shaft(the raised part adjacent to the three grooves). 7mm= IIIIIII 6.5mm = IIIIII/

In future, lubricate used drills after every use, or keep in a waxed roll.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I still can't see any need for that much accuracy in sizing of SDS drill bits! After all it's quite easy to see whether the bit is about the size you need, and you can always measure the width of the bit if it's that critical for some reason.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well if you drill holes for a 6mm rawlplug with a 6.5 or 7mm bit, your stuffed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I have a 5.5mm drill bit for my red plugs and a no 8 screw. It's the cleanest drill bit. Easy to find. Most often used!

When I need to know a critical size (for example, rawl bolts, sleeve anchors etc), I simply rub the area the engraved size is to clean it and double check. You know the size roughly by eye, and just need to confirm.

malkie129 likes this.
  12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D
    I thought the item/link had both imperial and metric Phil! :p ;)

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Like Lectrician, I use a long 5.5mm bit for red plugs.

I've got other size bits, but the 12, 14, 16 , 18 , 20, 22 and 25 are self explanatory.

I've got stubby 6 & 8mm bits that came with some bit of kit, but all I do is lend them to other trades when they can't find theirs.