Router Choice

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Nov 28, 2014.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Hi folks,
    New router about to be bought.
    Looking for advice/recommendations regarding the following;
    This new from our hosts;
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-m12ve-j7-1570w-router-110v/53408
    or a used/nearly new Dewalt DW625E if I can get it a similar price on eBay.

I know the Dewalt is considerably dearer, new, but is it that much better a tool?

Thansk,

Cando.

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I don't have any experience with hitachi routers, but the DW625E has a great reputation as a real hardy router and I've certainly had no problems with mine in years. If you could get one for the same cost as the hitachi I think that's what I'd do, although as said I can't actually compare and say yes it's better/worse but it is a good router with a reputation as such.

3. candoabitofmoststuff

Thank you.
    Anyone else with experience of the hitachi can offer an opinion? I suspect the I wont get the Dewalt at the price I hope!

Regards,
    Cando

4. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I would go for the Dewalt. It's actually an old Elu design and also available from Trend as well. I've had mine for years and although I've upgraded almost everything else to Festool I've stuck with my DW625 as it such a good piece of kit.

I've just found the same Hitachi router on Amazon in the US. I have a rule with Amazon that I won't consider anything that has more than 10% of 1 and 2 star reviews. This has 19 out of 84 or neally 23%. On that basis I wouldn't touch it.

I'm not sure if Screwfix still get funny about links on here. Just search using this: Hitachi-M12VE-High-Powered-Variable-Plunge

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dewalt.

Mine still going strong after many years.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i hgave the older hitachi that model replaced you can get the hitachi for around £150 its a cracking router

what exactly do you plan to use your router for ??

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  7. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Bear in mind that the Hitachi router is only 1570watts, whereas the Dewalt is going to be 2000watt.

It may not be relevant to you, depending on what kind of work you are planning on doing with a new router, but I would definitely go with the Dewalt if you can get one for a similar price to the Hitachi.

Snezza.

8. Matt holmes

Matt holmes New Member

[​IMG]ere

Dewalt is a higher end black and deckers which personally I am not a great fan I have had dewalt, hitachi, makita, Rigid and porter cable power tools the Dewalt batteries needed replacing after 4 months of use the trigger failed twice i had to send it in for repair which cost me an extra 50 dollars. but I had the 7 piece, I would not advise buying used because u dont know what condition the batteries are in and that's 100 quid a pop.
    I go with Makita now very durable. It goes without saying you get what you pay for! if [​IMG]710watts 35mm depth 103 quid. thisis what i have and it does me fine but it really depeants on what your working on, you could always go with a dremmel tool also. there is an app called shpock car boot sale app where you can find a lot of good deals. also wish is another app.

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

that is the output quoted the input is 1850
    where as the 625 is 1400 output and 2000w input

edit just noted its the 110v
    my comments are on the 230/240v models
    http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW625EK/info/specifications/

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  10. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I have that with all the attachments as well as a 625EK. It is a very good piece of kit but it's a laminate trimmer and unlikely to satisfy his needs. The 625EK is a real workhorse and as I said it's an old Elu design that Dewalt haven't messed around with. The only way you would get significantly better quality would be Festool.

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I have that router in 240v. Also an old Elu beast and a ten year old Makita.
    Personally I think it is cheaply made and has poor design elements. The plastics used seem cheap, the power lead goes stiff in the cold, the height movement is not very smooth, the on off switch is uncomfortable to use, the spindle at times seems out of square and leaves steps in multi pass cuts - so much so that I can not use the cutters with replaceable blades.
    But it is cheap. I would recommend it to a builder but not to a carpenter.

12. candoabitofmoststuff

Just seen this thread was still "alive"...
    Thanks for all the input.
    In the end I've had a new Dewalt DW625E bought for me as a combined bday and Christmas prize!
    Thanks,

Regards,
    Cando

chippie244 likes this.