New build, open drain pipe in attic

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Depha, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Depha

Depha New Member

Hello just here for some advice in case I need to "know what I'm talking about" when I next speak to the housing developer.

I'm on a new estate and in the loft the pipe which carries water from the bathroom (definitely sink/bath, not sure about toilet) has no top on it. It's just an open pipe. When I run hot water you can feel the heat/condensation rising from it into the loft. This I believe has caused 'dew' to appear on the loft insulation. I believe this is not right and should be capped or have some sort of air valve on it? Is this correct?

Also when running hot water you can hear a 'click, click, click' noise for a good 15 minutes afterwards. This is annoying when you're trying to sleep! Would this be connected with my first problem?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic of said pipe, if it's what I think it is, it shouldn't cause any concerns when running hot water.

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

At a guess, I would say it's missing the air admittance valve, which would stop steam coming out and anything falling in.

The click click is likely to be the pipes contracting after the hot water has gone through...

B J

4. donny0710

donny0710 New Member

This pipe should have a air admittance valve on it.
    The ticking noise you hear is the pipe expanding and rubbing on a joist.
    If you are in a new build get it reported and the builder will have to sort it

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes sounds like one of these has been missed out.

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=air+admitance

As said get the builder back to sort it out, if just that has been missed it is not a big issue, but if other things come to light best to have a record of the omission