Getting a really heavy item in and out of a van

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by philip crouch, Nov 25, 2014.

1. philip crouch

philip crouch New Member

hello folks - i posted a slightly odd query on this forum a while back, and got some really good answers, so i am going to try again with this one.

we want to get something heavy and unwieldy in and out of my van on a regular basis. the item weighs about 200kgs and needs to go on a trolley when it comes out of the van. one end of the journey is a street market environment so there is no place for forklifts etc. (it's an oven, in case you are interested!)

we've been thinking about rails and roller tracks on the floor of the van, but are not clever enough to work out how this could be taken forward. we are anticipating that the base of the van will drop when the item is put back in, which seems to a barrier to some solutions.

we saw this, which is pretty cool, but just in the states. www.800toolbox.com/roller_coaster/roller_coaster

we are firm believers in the maxim that someone has always been there before us...so any thoughts gratefully received!

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fix it to the trolley, and have a ramp made up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Then put one of these eBay item 110966414423 bolted to the floor at the front of the van will also lower it back down the ramps

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

FatHands and caveman bulider like this.
  5. philip crouch

philip crouch New Member

Thanks, chaps. we've sort of thought about ramps, but were worried about the height of the oven/trolley combo, (stability etc) and we kinda wanted to use a rental van, so the winch would be out. but it's really useful to see these links - and it maybe that this is the only way to do it! thanks again.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Try gogling Coffin trolley, I kid you not;)

7. philip crouch

philip crouch New Member

wow....! we have talked about ambulances and stretchers, but not coffins. just googled as suggested - and look at this bit of kit www.mcgowanfuneralsupplies.com/trolleys/
    it folds up as well, which is rather attractive! not sure if we are quite there, but thanks again.

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yea looks dead handy ! :D:D

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

If you're considering using a rental van anyway, then could you not rent a luton with a tail lift and make up a trolley that the oven can be left on?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about a vehicle mounted crane, Hiab Swing lift, or similar most will lift between 250-500kg & can fold away.
    Plenty on Ebay from £125 upwards for a manual version, electric a bit more.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  11. philip crouch

philip crouch New Member

12. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Notice. She is using a rental van...

caveman bulider likes this.
  13. Highway Products can make any kind of cargo slide you are needing for virtually any type of vehicle since most of the products made are custom made to order. All products come with a 100% Lifetime Warranty.

There is a lot more information about the Roller Coaster Cargo Slides on Highway Products other website - http://www.highwayproducts.com/products/roller-coasters.

As of January 1st, a brand new website will be launched, which will have updated products, photos, videos and more...

[​IMG]

14. philip crouch

philip crouch New Member

(just had a couple of weeks off...!)

'Need a bigger hammer' - that is a very interesting bit of kit. i am trying to track this down

Highway Products Incorporated - Thanks for the comment. how do i contact you in the UK? google is not telling me anything...!

I feel soon i may be able to write a book on this subject. :)