built in oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by johnllanelli, Jan 24, 2015.

1. johnllanelli

johnllanelli New Member

Can I wire up a plug go straight into a ordinary fuse socket on a lamina built in oven 220-240 V
    2,3kw

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi
    hi.
    do you have a link to your oven?

3. johnllanelli

johnllanelli New Member

No just three screws that look like they would take a ring fastener crimped to the wires

4. johnllanelli

johnllanelli New Member

Or could I cut into the hob 6mm cable and take a twin and earth spur to the oven

5. FatHands

i meant a web link or model number

6. johnllanelli

johnllanelli New Member

Sorry model number LAM3400

7. FatHands

hi,
    i would put a dedicated circuit in for that from the consumer unit

8. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Many years ago i had an electric oven and Gas hob installed, He was fitting the kitchen at the time and also moved a few wall sockets around. Years later the cooker gave up and i disconnected it from the supply, but the wiring that i found was scary! The house has a dedicated 32amp mcb protected supply that leads to an MK box at the back of the oven, but what i found was that he had run twin and earth from that to a cooker switch, then twin and earth from the switch to a choc block, the choc block had the cooker/ hob ignition/ and extractor all wired up to it, but there was also another twin and earth wire from the cooker switch to a 13amp double socket mounted above the work top for the kettle and so on. What i am asking is 'How wrong is all that' ? What i am installing is a 34kw Samsung electric oven and a new Gas hob with ignition and i need to know whats right and whats wrong.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

34kw Samsung electric oven

34kW ?

10. Steve H

Steve H New Member

3'400/ 3.4Kw

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

34 KW ? a Furnace

12. Steve H

Steve H New Member

I am of course just looking for advice here! It is a Samsung BF641 FST/ XEU

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It is considered bad manors to hi-jack a thread. So first poster in theory you should have a dedicated supply to anything over 2kW which is built in. In practice the oven does not draw high current for that long once up to temperature then it does not take much to hold it at that temperature.

There are two methods you could use, one is use the ring with a FCU or plug the other is use a double cooker connection unit and take two cables out of that. You need to check the oven can be fed from a 32A MCB but most can.

As to the other post clearly choc block is not permitted outside an enclosure also the rules on conductors in parallel require both to be same length etc. But I find it hard to read the post and work out exactly what you have. I would make a new thread and start again with some spaces between each even so it is plain what you have.