New Regs books AMD 3

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bewlec, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

What's the score with the new 17th edition AMD 3 regs books? do you have to buy the new regs book as I cant find any downloads on the IET site.
    Also what does you do with old regs books do you bin them or sell them on ?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

For the life of me, I can't see why the regs keep changing as much as they do. The electricity we get is still 230v @50Hz . Is it a scam by the IET (supported by NICEIC ? ) Is my old 16th edition installation safe? ;););)

3. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Is this the one you want ??

http://electrical.theiet.org/books/amendment-no3/17th-edition-amd3.cfm

Digital version http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/digital/index.cfm

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

welshdragon - do you use the digital version? if so whats it like?

5. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

I'm not in trade so don't use it tbh, but seriously thinking of downloading it as it would be handy to make sure contractors are up to date though ;)

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

ah fair enough mate :)

7. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

Welsh dragon cheers for the reply, I have the old green regs books, you used to be able to download updates free from the IET to add to your current regs books. but no downloads available, so I am taking it I will have to buy the new yellow AMD 3 regs, on site guide etc

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, has all the hallmarks of a scam. ;);)

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

When the 17th came out there were many changes but after that point the changes seem minor. The earth loop impedance it seems is the major change this time as far as I can understand micro generation means the voltage tapping on supply transformers may be lower than before so the voltage used to calculate the tripping currents of a MCB has been reduced so for a 32A B type MCB the value is no longer 1.44 ohms.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've just ordered mine from NAPIT. It is a membership requirement that we hold latest copies of the Regs, On-site Guide and GN3.

I can see why they insist on it because the temptation to save money by not buying the latest is likely to lead to a situation where there are electricians with a variety of editions of the Regs. Unfortunately it is just one of the must-do things a professional electrician has to do and keep up to date.

Welshdragon1 and FatHands like this.
  11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Remember folks - it's all tax deductable :oops::rolleyes:o_O:p:p

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Having attended the lecture on the changes seems no real option for practising electricians. OK by now we know what is in it but working out exactly what is required to comply as yet even the IET who wrote the book don't seem to have the answers. So if we use a metal saddle on plastic conduit will the saddle require earthing?

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

So if we use a metal saddle on plastic conduit will the saddle require earthing?

Don't forget the door hinges MGW? :D lol

14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Have just picked up this issue of connections mag with a summary of what Amd 3 is. . . TBH nowt, zilch, Sweet fanny Adams to what we are doing now:

New numbering system
    RCD protection to Socket outlets up to 20A (Thats what were doing now in a domestic anyway and labels on other points.
    Non-combustible enclosures, well that's up to manufacturers to get their houses in order and it does not kick in till next Jan 2016 anyway.
    Chapter 52 about support for wiring systems on escape routes. . .A removal of a skilled/instructed person has been removed are now defined in part2 (can anyone clarify this)
    A new section on aux circuits
    Moving Outdoor lighting to new sections
    RCD protection in special locations bath/shower to SELV circuits (already covered)
    Change to Model forms for certification and reporting (so as to make a few more quid on software replacements)

Is it me or does this have scam written all over it?