Locked in (faulty UPVC door mechanism)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WackySpike, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 'Sure should have just replaced it at the time, but what the hell. I wish I was but I aint loaded.'

Fair enuff Wacky! most would have chanced it too.

2. Alun123

Alun123 New Member

My recent experience with a Coldseal rear door jamming: trying to lift the handle prior to turning the key I could not turn the key to lock the door but the gearbox broke up, this was confirmed when I pulled the handle shalf out and bits of metal could be seen through the shaft hole. As the handle was no use and the door was jammed I removed the covers off the hinges (after ordering a gearbox £27 +vat+postage) and removed the 4 secrews from each hinge on the door side. I supported the door with a block of wood to minimise strain on the looking mechanism.

I pushed the rear of the door from the outside to expose the locking latches (4), rollers (4), Lock and latch none of which could be moved! Two latches out of the four were hooked in (one up and one down) holding the door. Using a Z shaped phillips screw driver I removed all the screws in the door frame strip making sure the wife was on the other side to support the door. Door free without any damage.

After replacing the gearbox I had to replace the lock due to having use a little force to get it out of the damaged gearbox/door. I spent some time adjusting the door mainly using the middle and top hinge adjuster, turning the Allen key anti clockwise lifts the door. Now my door closed with ease as well as locks, I have adjusted my front door so hopefully that gearbox should last longer, I don't ever remember the doors closing with such ease from new (Coldseal). Hope this helps with the aid of previous posts on here.