Painting MDF Wardrobes

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by HAMMERBOY, Oct 4, 2006.

1. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

For built in wardrobes - was thinking along the lines of

1) Sand MDF
    2) 1 coat of Rustins MDF Primer
    3) 2 coats of oil based egg shell ?

I was intending to paint skirtings and architraves in oil based eggshell to match wardrobes.

How does this sound ?

Cheers

2. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Sounds ok to me, but be prepared to undercoat 2/3 times and when you start undercoating you will get some 'flowering' of the edges, this is expected and will sand dowm with some fine oxide paper. The extra undercoating may be apin but the final result will be well worth it.

3. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

Telmay - 1 primer, 2/3 undercoat ?

What's flowering ? Can it be removed with sand paper ?

4. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Hammerboy,

Once you have given it a coat of the Rustins you can give it a couple of coats of this:
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101650&ts=79214&id=64719

'Flowering' not sure if this is the right terminology but it suits it! Because the MDF is made up of fibre the edges once wet sometimes swell a little and once dry look uneven and have a slight texture to them, to get rid of this use a fine abrasive paper and then undercoat - this should solve it, if not rub down again and undercoat once more.

I would also give it a gentle rub down prior to the final topcoat of eggshell.

5. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

For built in wardrobes - was thinking along the lines
    of

1) Sand MDF
    2) 1 coat of Rustins MDF Primer
    3) 2 coats of oil based egg shell ?

I was intending to paint skirtings and architraves in
    oil based eggshell to match wardrobes.

How does this sound ?

Sounds great, but no good I'm afraid, you will have to do a few coats before you even start on your eggshell, believe me, I have just finished last week painting MDF wardrobes and cupboards, and it was like painting the 'forth' bridge, never fecking ending.

I did 3 coats of undercoat, admittidly one of those was Quick drying, then 3 coats of satinwood, again one was quick drying,and of course in between sanding the furry bits as by then I was on the verge cracking up lol, but even if I say so myself, they do look very nice.

6. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

Cheers for the tips , much appreciated.

7. Has anyone here had mdf doors sprayed at a bodyshop in 2k. I was working on a job where the chippy made the kitchen cabinet doors and had them sprayed metallic silver. Looked great when new but i wondered if they would chip easily, even though he had rounded most edges

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Worked on a bar refurb when the chippy did simular, had some panels done and did not have to worry about edges as they were hidden by skirting and rails on top and sides - worked well in that place

9. RPConstruction

RPConstruction New Member

i've experienced the "flowering" thing too, this morning to be precise! for some reason everytime i use mdf for something i always forget what a pig it is to paint afterwards!

10. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I had some ply lined doors to paint over the weekend, three coats of Dulux fast dry primer/undercoat before the surface was stable enough for a good sanding, one coat of oil base undercoat and finally now ready for 2 satin - not just MDF thats a bar-steward!!

11. steven keyse

steven keyse New Member

I always pva edges and then give them a light sand and the when you undercoat it seems to not be so fury as the glue has binded the fibres together :)

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you paint with a shellac based sanding sealer first it should solve a lot of those problems.