shiplap cladding for shed build. Glue or no glue?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by KarimiumCom, Jan 24, 2015.

1. KarimiumCom

KarimiumCom Member

Hi

I'm building a long shed 6' by 10' or 1.8m by 3m. I have the shed currently built using overlap timber. Unfortunately it's too short at around 1.45m on the eaves (internally). So I want to upgrade so that it's 2.1m at eaves and 2.6 at ridge, giving me plenty of vertical space to use racking and pile things up.

I think it's a good idea to do the job properly and use shiplap as it will stop moisture from building up inside and also provide structural ridgity which is not provided by overlap panels.

Few questions:

should I use adhesive inbetween the tongue & groove joints instead or just slot them in place and nail them to the framing?

Is apex shed optimal design for sheds or can I have a single slope? Apex means there's less vertical space on the sides. A box design with a gentle slope for rain would provide great usable storage space.

If an Apex is required, what's the flattest angle possible for use?

2. iainc

iainc New Member

I have a pent shed (flat sloped roof front to back) so I think it's just whether you prefer apex or pent. My pent is shiplap (bought pre-made). If you are doing shiplap, it tends to move a lot. Make sure you treat the shiplap well before securing it or it will warp. Mine is a badly and minimally treated shed from Tiger Sheds, and warped like anything as it wasn't properly pressure treated timber.

You are probably still going to get a lot of movement in the wood when the weather changes, so glue may not really work.

3. KarimiumCom

KarimiumCom Member

I think the apex is better design if you're using cheap wood because the roof wont cave in. If you're reinforcing with good quality timber the pent is probably best so I will go with pent. he apex wastes valuable head room as it has to drop on each side.

4. KarimiumCom

KarimiumCom Member

Also I would imagin the shiplap wood bought from a good quality timber merchant would have been pretreated and left to settle a bit, in any case gluing the grooves probably isn't a good idea.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Don't glue and single nail it