Garden border

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Kieron79, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Looking to do a similar design as shown in the photo for our garden once the extension is complete, was just wondering what you lay the brick border in top of? Is it straight on top if soil and knock in with rubber mallet or do they need a specific base (I assume they do otherwise they would surely sink?)

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You would need to bed then on a sharp sand and cement bed, it need not be to wet, but wet enough to bond to the underside of the bricks, it would be wise to lay a layer of MOT type1 down first.

100mm Type1
    50mm sharp sand cement.

This will guarantee no movement in the future.

3. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Thanks for that

4. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

What ratio of sand to cement? Thanks

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is that artifical turf your using, if no make sure the top surface is about an inch in height over the bricks si a mower will easilt pass. Design looks good will be an effort ti keep the grass edged.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I did my parents garden path. I used 5:1 mix i.e 5 sharp sand, 1 cement - the mix was semi-dri. Also haunch the back edge of the bricks.

7. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

many thanks, no going for real turf, may sack off the idea of thwe bricks but just concerned there would be no edging, any ideas on alternative options?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You wont need to edge the bricks. Just flaunch the backs.

You will need to look at the bricks, ideally you will want frost resistant ones. Clay paviours in a brindle colour would look good.

You will also need to consider that If you have a shed as shown, you will be walking on the grass, when accessing the shed. and bringing in mud home. Desings like these look good but sometimes are not always functional.

9. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

cheers, noted! is there some sort of plastict flexible edging that I could use and then fill behing that with decorative gravel? hope this makes sense, as you can tell not into gardening v much

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You can get this

I do like the idea of the bricks, especially multi colured ones as this can help bring colour to a garden.

11. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Much appreciated! Agree brick does look better though