Shopping list for garage wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alewis, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Alewis

Alewis Member

Evening all,

I am looking to replace the current setup in my garage which isn't particularly safe or practical. I understand how it all goes together and will get a sparky in to test and certify it all, but would someone be kind enough to give me a basic shopping list as there seems to be quite a variation looking across different forums as to best practice, and setup.

It currently runs off an 80a RCD on the main house board, then out on what I think is 6mm t+e on a catenary, although the catenary has snapped and will need replacing. I would then like to run a couple of lights (probably led) on a single switch, 2 x 2 gang switched sockets, a permanently on outside light (also led) and a 2 gang outside socket for the mower. The garage has a corrugated cement roof and drips from condensation in winter so I guess IP44 inside and IP 56 or higher outside would be best?

Thank you in advance.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Evening,
    Run SWA to the garage; T&E is not suitable for outdoors.

3. Alewis

Alewis Member

That was my thinking too so I will add that to the list. Would 4mm suffice?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

As an fyi, any registered spark can only sign off their own work, not anyone elses, including yours. If you want to make sure your work is registered with BC you need to contact your local BC office who will charge you a fee.

5. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Appols for jumping in on this thread but does "their own work" include digging the trench for the cable and laying it? I was also intending on shimmying under my floors and installing (or at least pulling through) all the cabling myself (mine's a bungalow) and just letting my spark do all the connecting up / commisioning. At the very least i'll be around to labour for him when he's here. Also, can i just ask isn't an attached / integral garage treated differently than a seperate one? Seem to remember reading that somewhere...

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Technically it's true that we are only supposed to "sign off" our own work but if the customer or another tradesman wishes to run his cables and is willing to leave them all exposed until i've checked his work and am happy that he's done everything the way I told him then I have no qualms about certifying the job.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

As sen says, a registered spark can sign off work he hasn't done if he is happy to sign it off, but I would be surprised to find any spark who would sign off on already completed work he has had no input to.

seneca likes this.
  8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed Col, if I can't see everything that's been done, no chance!

9. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Fine, that's exactly what I'm doing. My spark is quite happy for me to be the one who gets covered in **** crawling under my bungalow! I used to do my own basic electrics (very safely and with professional guidance) but times have changed it just isn't worth killing yourself or landing a heafty fine or worse! I shudder to think some of the bodge jobs you pro's must see on your travels!

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

That's the last thing I want when I'm working... You may well find a hungry and desperate good spark willing to do the what you want, but most good sparks are too busy for this. You'll get either a learner or a bodger.

Well ask him for the shopping list then, seeing as he'll be the one tying the ends up.

11. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

stateit...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or helpful...
    I was a farmer and then in the building trade before I joined the Fire service 20 plus years ago and i'm a keen DIY er but I know my place... I'm interested what people do especially if they're working on my house, if i can help them, i will, willingly, or just keep out of their way and make them a brew when asked. You contradic yourself cos you say most good sparks are too busy for this. That's just the point, I can't get hold of one! So i offered to help to save him time. I'll still pay him handsomely...
    Your other comment is accurate, but he's already told me he can get everything needed cheaper than me so i'm happy with that...
    He works all over the country so is slotting me in as i've known him since junior school so I understand your sentiment but feel you're being a bit harsh in this case. Cheers for the input btw... ;-)

Ray Retired likes this.
  12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Although the English Part P now allows electricians to sign off other peoples work most scheme providers have not taken up the option. Of course an electrician can have an apprentice of labour and where he has control he can use the home owner to do his labouring but he (the electrician) must have control.

As to what is required it will depend on how fast you do the work by June there will be new rules. Even electricians are having problems keeping up with the rules it would seem plastic saddles for plastic conduit is no longer going to be good enough seems now it will be steel saddles.

I would wait a month or two then ask or likely you will fall foul of one of the new rules.