Varnishing shed interior

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by the chef, Jan 30, 2015.

1. the chef

the chef New Member

I wonder if anyone can help.
    I'm wanting to varnish the inside of a garden shed, the interior is clad with untreated pine.
    Firstly, I'm using Ronseal interior clear varnish. I have a small off cut of pine (identical to that used in the shed) which I have applied 3 coats to and the finish is exactly as I want. However, when painting the varnish inside the shed, it doesn't seem to be taking - there is no build-up.

After 3 coats the pine still 'looks' and feels bare - where as my 'test' piece has a definite smoothness to it and sheen.
    I'm unsure why I'm seeing different results?

Could it be the environment? my 'test' piece was painted in the house - at room temperature, where as the shed, whilst heated, is certainly cooler - is there a possibility the varnish is not drying quickly enough, therefore seeping into the wood?

The other possibility I've thought of is the volume of varnish being applied - for the 'test' piece I've used a paint brush, whereas in the shed I've used a roller - perhaps its possible the roller is not applying enough varnish??

If its the latter - has anyone ever sprayed varnish - using one of those hand-pump spaying units - the type advertised for painting fences?
    (The shed is double lined, so it is not an issue should varnish seep through the cladding)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. its a fair sized shed - and takes a good few hours to apply one coat - so I'd rather know I'm doing it right as opposed to blindly continuing on the same course...

Thanks

2. i would say its the use of the roller not putting it on thick enough

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I suspect you are on the right track with the weather conditions I have tried painting items in the garage and they just don't dry when it is cold and damp. Even indoors paint takes an age to dry properly and often has a poor finish this weather.
    Leave it till the spring and then give it another coat.