Tool theft in the S/E area

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by chippie244, Jan 26, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had my garage in Herts broken into at the beginning of the month and a couple of grands worth of tools stolen. It was reported to the police but they closed down the investigation fairly quickly, no CCTV and no fingerprints.
    I got a call from Thames Valley police on Friday saying that they had raided a warehouse in Slough which contained millions of pounds worth of tools including some marked with my company name.
    They reckoned virtually every power tool stolen in the S/E since xmas was in the warehouse so if you've been robbed recently it might be worth a call especially if your tools are marked in some way.
    It shows the value of marking your tools even if just with a marker pen like mine were.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'm glad you're gonna get some back chippie, don't suppose they give you 10 minutes in the cell with the scroats and test your hammers still working alright ?:rolleyes:

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Glad they got a result Chip and at least your going to get your tools back. I bet there's loads there that are unmarked with any names. Tell em you also lost a Festool rail saw and an Elu router, Chop saw and Sds cordless that were unmarked.. Ya never know. ;););) (ooh and a set of Marples chisels and a couple of Lie Neilsen planes) :D:D:D

4. Glad you got some results mate this is why i make sure near enough everything in the back of my van has my initials on it

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They left all my Festool gear behind as well as the legs and fence for the Elu flipover saw, 'kin' muppets.

6. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

That's great news mate, I hope you get all your tools back

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was insured for a grand so I'm hoping I get half of them back. ;)

8. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I had around 3 grand worth of stuff stolen just before xmas, none of it marked though as large majority was a couple of days old:(
    Got the value back through insurance though so hey ho.

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Glad to hear of your news Chippie, result!

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have 3 address labels on my tools
    one prominent one in the base where the battery goes and one within the casing requiring screws to be removed
    but well done for sharing and hope you get all or nearly all your tools sorted

11. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Great to hear you got them back!

I got some labels from a company called Moo Print, about the size of a postage stamp but vinyl instead of paper. Got one design with just my initial, to stop guys on site taking my batts and levels, and another set with address and mobile no on. good strong labels, waterproof and dishwasher proof if you ever put your kit boxes through the dishwasher ;)

FatHands likes this.
  12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's good news Chippie, hope most if not all your stuff is there, I too mark my tools with a marker pen, it's surprising, even on sites how many times peeps try nicking you stuff.

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

that's a sad reflection of today Phil, In my early days on sites ALL tradesmen respected each other and their tools, now its open season, people walk on sites with a hi vis vest, hard hat, walk about and grab any unguarded tools and disappear, nobody see's anything, :(

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I need to do a tool inventory also, I have quite a bit of tools, from electrical to plumbing etc. I don't have a business, so hopefully all the gear will come covered under house contents insurance.

There has been now 2 thefts from known members on this forum.

What is the best way to mark tools, is smartwater any good?

15. Welshdragon1

I wish the law would allow us to electrify our Vehicles / Sheds / Garages etc

I noticed that Cash Generator near me has stopped taking in Tools / most household items, & just concentrate on Audio - Visual / / computers - laptops / Phones / new gear & furniture

16. I tend to just use a sharpie and write my initials on everything at least once in a really obvious place and then a pretty unnoticeable place. I dont do much site work where i dont already know and trust the guys that im working with so im not to worried about theft its more to stop someone taking my tools home by mistake, was once on a site where 4 guys had the same six foot level and they all ended up in the back of one guys van because no one had there names on them hahaha, i think smartwater would be a good thing aswell as obvious markings as that tends to work as more of a deterent if its really noticeable and obvious

17. Welshdragon1

I am also now looking @ the Smartwater markings for all my tools etc http://www.smartwater.com/ for those also interested.

On some I engrave my initials & postcode, others I have used a standard UV marker

18. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I also had my van cleaned out a few years back they then came back a couple of weeks later to see if I had replaced the tools . No tools in the van that time but they still cost me a days work and a new side window . Glad you got some tools back . I hate tool or any tool or other theft with a passion.

19. Yeah thats a favourite old trick nick the old worn out tools so they know where there will be brand new replacements when they come back when the insurance has paid out

20. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

The bit that gets me is if they were mis treated or robbed them selfs they would be moning a bucketful .