Laser levels better than chalk line on ceilings?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TartanPaint, Mar 26, 2015.

1. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I've never owned a self-levelling cross-hair laser. but quite tempted now they're dirt cheap.

I'm interested if anyone's using them to mark downlight positions on ceilings (instead of chalk line and measuring tape - awkward on your own when the line pings off the other end ... :mad:

I can see obvious benefit for sockets, switches, etc but wondering about how you get the line parallel to a wall without lots of up and down ladders with a tape.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch GLL3X 3 line laser level off Ebay £90, item No: 161639742507.
    Should be easy for setting out downlights,as long as you mark distance in from edge of wall for the first light then line up laser with that mark, you will get perfect alignment for the length of the room, will need laser on a tripod, I have a old camera tripod which extends 5' -6' in height.
    Have used mine for tiling,coving, handrails up the stairs, electric boxes & in a few weeks downlighters in the hall, stairwell & top landing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    TartanPaint likes this.
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I've had a laser for the last few months. Mark a light at either end and set the laser up to them. It isn't quick getting the red line to hit both marked points, it takes some tweaking around.

I used to use pink builders string and a couple bradawls to mark the positions. I actually went into SF to get a new drum of pink brick line, and came out with a cross hair Stanley!

I wouldn't say it's particularly quicker, but it looks more professional!

TartanPaint and Welshdragon1 like this.
  4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Chalk lines are good as long as the customer doesn't have newly laid white marble unsealed tiles. To be fair she quite liked the blue speckled look of them.

Deleted member 25896 likes this.
  5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Absolutely yes. Laser levels are brilliant. You can set up the height of a line of accessories around a room, line up downlights on ceilings, set out lighting positions, check distances off walls at any point by holding up a measuring tape and looking at the laser line. I use the DeWalt DW088K on sale in Screwfix at £179.99. :)

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I used to use a laser level but it's too much faff.

Screw in the ceiling for first light, screw in ceiling for second, then g/y sleeving nice and tight between the two.

No chalk mess. Using things already at hand. And nicely visible.

Lectrician likes this.
  7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

8. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Do you find green or red lazers the best ??

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Red are fine for Sparky use unless you need a line in a 100m+ Factory!

Green are more accurate but also costly.

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

The DW089K, has the option of a second line at right angles to the unit and also I believe a plumb bob facility to place a spot directly above the unit.
    However, initial setting out can be a right PITA, much easier to just screw in a screw at the first and last point and string a line between them.

Lectrician likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  12. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

13. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I too use the DeWalt DW088K. One of the best investments I ever made. Also have the receiver unit for it which was handy for setting out my blockwork when I built my workshops! The only issue I have with this is that for really accurate work, the line is sometimes too 'thick'.

14. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I have a separate laser level and spotter. (Both De Walt.)

But agree with everyone that it's an absolute torture trying to line up two marks on a ceiling with one.

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Mark out the two points on the FLOOR, not the ceiling, using permanent marker!

Wait till the Painter has done the ceiling then drill nice clean 78mm holes and jobs a good un! :cool:

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

o_OIs it just me?

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

19. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

That makes three of us.:(