Lightning in my Microwave

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wingit, Mar 31, 2015.

1. wingit

wingit Member

Turn on the micro and there is a massive burst of fire and light from the right hand side .. any replacement parts or is this a right-off?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Seriously!!!!!!!

3. wingit

wingit Member

Inside the machine obviously ... I'm sure this happened about 3 years ago with the same machine ,, we left it for a week or so and when about to buy another we tried it and it's been fine ever since .. until now?

4. A bit of carbonated foodstuff wot has chust been super-zonked with t'waves?

Or a bit of ali foil left behind?

Give the insides a good clean, and if it doesn't spark afterwards then it's fine...

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What's Ali foil doing in a microwave !!!!!!!!, BANG. :p:p:p

6. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Myth busters alert!!!!!!!!!

7. wingit

wingit Member

I've given the beast a good scrubbing and will leave it overnight to try in the morning .. if I've got any eye brows left I'll take a picture of the light show if it's still there!

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Contrary to popular belief, aluminium foil can be used in a microwave, with no ill effects. For example if your microwaving fish, aluminium foil can be used to cover the thinner parts, so they don't cook as fast. ;);)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Welshdragon1

Doesn't it, have to be microwavable foil though ??

10. joinerjohn1

What's the difference? Foil is foil ,,, isn't it? (should be pure aluminium) ;);)

11. Welshdragon1

Source: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/co...ters/microwave-ovens-and-food-safety/ct_index

12. joinerjohn1

From your most useful link WelshD
    So there ya have it. Ali foil is safe to use in microwaves.

13. Welshdragon1

I knew it wouldn't take you long to spot it ;) ;)

14. joinerjohn1

Yep, that's because I went to Specsavers....... (albeit around 5 yrs ago,,, really should get round to going and having my eyes tested again) :p:p:p:p:p