lawn mower.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by kap, Apr 1, 2015.

1. kap

kap Member

Hi all, hope you are well.

hope you can help please,
    there a lawn mower that takes my fancy, but i know nothing of this make.

It a SANLI LS 40 PETROL .
    I know its 3hp & its plastic body, ment to be quite strong.
    Its not a brigs & straton, proberly the most reliable unit,
    Is the engine on this sanli aluminim.?
    If the engine gets hot is it likely to loose compreshion equalling to the unit warping (on the spark plug side of things),
    i no the unit as to get pretty hot for this to happen but i have heard of this on another make.
    The sanli is a neat small light cheap little unit, = all is good for me, i have medium - large garden, more to the large.
    thanks all. hope u can put some light on this thanks...

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If there is such a thing, this is a upmarket Chinese made as cheap as chips piece of rubbish, by the way Brigs and Straton engines are not all that these days, the Honda units are far superior and probably cheaper.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Did a quick search for this and the results just ain't encouraging. You say you have a large garden? You really want a lawn mower that's powered, rather than one you have to push (meaning it has some sort of drive mechanism to propel it forward) . Gotta be some bargains on fleabay/amazon for around the same/similar price. ;););)

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Buy a decent second hand unit. I just got myself one of these John Deere for £100 on Gumtree, needs a bit of work, drive cable broken, that just cost me all of £3 on ebay. Runs like a dream and will out last most if not all of the import stuff

5. Kap.

Good advice above, I think.

A plastic body shouldn't be an issue - until you run over a few stones or gravel (I think I'd certainly take one before a steel deck wot'll rust, but you mustn't hit stones...)

The engine will probably start easily and run sweetly - until something goes wrong. And then you might struggle for parts (you could always ask about after-sales service before committing.)

Good points - it's apparently very light. Bad points - wheels need to be removed to adjust height?

Unless it's very cheap then you would do well to consider either a good 2nd-hand mower or keep an eye out for some good deals on new. Our hosts aren't too bad.

(Like Craig I bought a 24" Stiga with a Honda engine a couple of years back that needed a new pulley on the shaft and a stone guard - the mower cost me £45 on t'Bay and the parts around a further £20-30. Took my time to fettle it and used it for a few months before deciding it was too big - wouldn't go into nooks and crannies - so put it back on t'Bay. Went for over £400... :oops: Then bought a smaller Stiga for £65 - still going strong.)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

****** engines are ok until they go wrong, then you can't get the bits, Brigg & Stratton engines have gone down in quailty lately..
    Get a mower with a Honda engine, far superior,it will last longer, plenty of ggod second hand mowers out there.
    Got a MTD ride on mower off Freecycle, a few quid spent on HT lead, & carb clean solved the faults, made just over £400 on fleabay.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. kap

kap Member

hi all, morning to u. sorry i didnt reply to each 1, but i thank u all the same for u help & advise.
    i & my father have had a brigs & straton mower 125cc (only a small unit, push. ) mine is (6yrs old) still sweet, its well care for, fathers (8yrs old)e keeps it going been a good little unit, both was 130euro (110 sterling -ish), its used 1 time a week for about 2hrs non stop on fairly short grass, yes they take a hammering sometimes (ive hit stones same size as fist, hit tree trunks) brill little mower (id get another 1 100% yes), but fathers e's chassis is scrap (i mean scrap scrap..) the wheels haha there flat but the engine is still good as day 1. we cant get a good chassis n change the engine, nothing out there,there all the same condition,.
    so i fort get a cheap unit, sanli, it comes with warenty, if it last 1yr use its warnety, then after (hopefully) either it last a few yr or the plastic chassis is still good n engine swap it to our b&s unit.
    but im thinking 140euro / 120sterling the sanli cant be bad, i red good reviews & bad 1's,

il have another look at it & have quick look online later, this mower is in sale for easter usally 190euro or over 200sterling, im in euro / live in ireland.
    what ever i / we go with il either start a new thread or find this thread & reply to all about the unit we get, it may help u's out in the future.
    but thanks all for keeping me mind open.
    laters.......

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Your call obviously, but it's also quite a narrow blade at 40cm, so more time if you have a larger garden

You can get it here for £143